Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

i liked the old point system :P
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

uh no fiend, less is better
most violent is useless, having too many awards makes the single ones less important
woodwork is just a separation of "most missed", useless too

chubbs thing cannot be done
do you even read what i say? :P
priior

Post by priior »

how about points for boosting your teammates into opponent zone within a few seconds of a turnaround.

isn't that what every attacker wishes in a def?

as for tackling - keep saves.

sometimes tackling the attacker (especially on the sides) puts him in a bad position and shoots with bad angle (or weak charge).. doesnt seem right to penalize the def for this.

another less complex angle to this (not sure if it's good idea.. but worth thinking abuot it)

ideal best def =
(1) most touches to the ball (from opponent)
(2) low shots on own goal from opponents

so.. instead fo trying to factor in all the different possible aspects of defense playing (it can get very complex).. why not concentrate on results... if the opponents took minimal shots on goal and you touched the the ball pretty often (in a specific zone liek pbox+10m?) u get best def.. cuz in the end that's what matters.

only way to lose best def is if the keep makes a lot of saves (so they took a lot of shots - bad defense) or if your attackers been playing good def (they have more pbox area touches to the ball)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

hm priior
first thing is too complex
2nd is too primitive again and leads to totally random results
:/
priior

Post by priior »

the way i presented it is primitive.. but it's an interesting angle to approach this problem to make it less complex. More thought on it is definitely necessary.

results v/s actions.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

to base it on results makes it even more random
i dont see much potential in this
f1end

Post by f1end »

DavidM wrote: uh no fiend, less is better
In YOUR opinion...I disagree

DavidM wrote: most violent is useless, having too many awards makes the single ones less important

OMG...it was ur idea..i just said i liked it..

DavidM wrote: woodwork is just a separation of "most missed", useless too

useless, maybe...but fun, yes!!! (and asked for by quite a few people) aren't awards in general useless when it comes down to it?
DavidM wrote: chubbs thing cannot be done
do you even read what i say? :P

u said the game doesn't know when a "good" boost has been made...i suggested a way round this...u ignore my suggestion and say that ^^^

do u even read what i say??? O_o

<edit> priior has a point tho...

which is the better defense?

a) gets 30 tackles on enemy, but lets in 6 goals...

b) gets 5 hits on enemy but lets only 1 goal in...
Last edited by f1end on 19-02-2004 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

the boost thing is just not exact enough
you might also get points for doing a crap boost
we shouldnt go too far there
Requiem``

Post by Requiem`` »

What about a "most jump during a match" award too ;)

keep few but sensefull awards is the best way imo
Onge

Post by Onge »

Currently you need about 500 tackles to win Best Tackler - most matches no-one wins this. Perhaps tweak this (or is this being removed?).

Other than most interceptions, there is little for a defender to win so I like the best defender idea. Still, a good defender can do great things without ever touching the ball...Shame there is no way to gague good positional sense or good marking...

And I feel one great sweep can't do an awful lot on his own - a good defence is a team effort, whereas some attackers can really create something from nothing...You propose -2 pts if the ball goes in (the goal I assume) but if that defender is outnumbered 3 to 1 that is a bit harsh...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

the sweeper is always the asshole,
as you said, good things can be done without the ball, but the game wont be able to recognize them.
when you do a flawless match as sweeper but you lose 1:5 or so because you were always 1on2 people wont rate you "top" although you were flawless
there aint much for defenders :)

onge check again when you get -2 points, it has nothing to do with being outnumbered

tackler award will be removed
Onge

Post by Onge »

It's no wonder that sweepers are as rare as rocking horse shit and that those who do play there are increasingly playing mid or attack in pickups as it is largely a thankless position to play...It doesn't help that all replays focus on goals, but there's not a lot that can be done about that...It's like at school, where no-one wanted to defend and there'd be 10 attackers!
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

yap, that's why i am doing this, defenders need to be highlighted more

we sure cant show replays of defensive actions
defenders always look dumb in replays
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

updated first post
Messy

Re: best def award

Post by Messy »

Well I'm good at that last thing =\

Nice edits in your post david, some good ideas, but a few things:
DavidM wrote: current award plans are:

remove "snail award"
remove "fastest"
remove "volley whore"

Why remove volley whore? :o I like it if it doesn't take up too much space (shouldn't be a huge list nobody cares about, I agree, but I think there's space for this one, no?)
remove "best tackler"
remove "most hurt player"
remove "best assist"
remove "scorer"
[quote="DavidM [/i]
remove "most interceptions"
[/quote]
Is there no possibility to do something like this for everyone *but* the guy who got best defender? (and only watching interceptions)

Originally posted by DavidM
so what's left?
i recall these
//add "best defender"
pass hero
worst passer
best assist
scorer
most interceptions
best keeper
//most missed chances

I would prefer a woodwork award tbh :( (Or a 'DingKing' one) even though it would mean taking only a part of the entire missed chances thing..it would actually 'MEAN' something.
It points out stupidity far better ;p
//most violent player

This could be interesting, when:
- 1 point is given every time you hurt someone
- 2 points are given every time you kill someone (both in and outside of pzone, since the first is just being fast enough while the other is not + giving good pressure, and the latter is good defense)
- 3 points are given for doing a sandwhich (2 players kill 1 enemy within 1 second)
- 1 point is given for punting someone away (no matter what, doesn't have to be tactically good, it's about being violent, with or without a reason :))
- 1 point is given for getting in someone's face and annoying him by deflecting it (imagine this on the field irl, someone getting in your face the entire team forcing you to bounce the ball up against him when you shoot ;p)
//best attacker (2 points for 2nd last assist; 4 points for last assist; 3 points for goal)

Tbh I would like seperate awards for assisting and scoring better, but it's your choice :o

Originally posted by priior"]
how about points for boosting your teammates into opponent zone within a few seconds of a turnaround.

How about as a variation on this, if you boost someone, and he catches it in the air, you get points for aiming and timing a boost properly (both of you, but especially the booster, and a bit less for the boostee)

Anyway, my last suggestion would be to allow a player to choose a class (defender, attacker, keeper..)in the db options menu.
This could not only help with the defender awards (for example you can make an algorithm that finds out whether or not the attack have been helping the D out enough), affect spawn positions, who gets keeper physics and how long for the delay to kick in for those physics, skins ('stronger' and meaner looking defenders, fast and skinny attackers, padding on the keeper, etc.), etc.

edit: nice 3rd edit x_O i like the image :) looks good.

ps: Have you guys not forgotten the planned panel with information after a guy scored?
It was planned before after an idea by Diab, where he made a screenshot after HookR scored and drew a panel thingy at the bottom of the screen with information about the scorer, looked interesting, was later put in the to do list by DaJero, it's kind of similar :)
That was cool :o
Last edited by Messy on 19-02-2004 17:55, edited 1 time in total.