Noob report.

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

RaGe|DB

Noob report.

Post by RaGe|DB »

Hi o/.
Well, where do we start huh? I'm sure we all agree that 2.0 is doing great things for the community, loads of newbies and I'm sure we've seen most of them, I've even seen faces on pubs I normally only see in pickups and I thank everybody for this.

The last couples of days have been more than amusing for me and I actually managed to stick around for hours on one server just talking to the new guys, exchanging experiences (me talking about 1 year of playing, they about their mere 2 hours :p ). But in the end, it was highly amusing.

First off, I tried two approaches on publics; 1. The pro approach, act nice, score alot (I got bored after 1 game so I immediatly stopped this and I noticed how the newbies didn't appreciate it either.

The other days however I tried the approach mister M told us, let them score, encourage and it certainly DID work. I was keep sometimes, dodging the wrong way on purpose screaming NICE ONE DUDE! ^__^ and it worked, I loved how they actually got confident and tried more shots, gazman was also there and I think he had a blast himself. After a while more "pro" players joined, Insane, Darkice, and some others.

In the last couple of days I also offered my services to any newbie that would want it and spammed away about the beginners event on every-fucking-server :D. Actually I have about 3 newbies under my wing now, going to train them one by one and let them spec a few pickups, also the demos.

Anyway, it really did convince me that I'm doing good things today (gg ego) cause when I was on some NA server just then and I offered my help to newbies I got a response "Wow, this is a nice community, nobody ever offered their help in a game before". It kinda touched me \o/.

Well thanks to all! keep on the good work and please please, let them score :X

Also I always redirect them to irc :o which is fun :D
Last edited by RaGe|DB on 10-06-2004 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Koning_Floris

Post by Koning_Floris »

Amen! ;)

Yeah its lots of fun when n00bs go running around screaming "W00T W00T" after a simple goal. Although I saw some nice (beginners luck?) goals yesterday. :D
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Excellent :)

happy that the motivating way works.
I think noobs that are impressed by good playing pro's aren't many, so that's the right way to go.
Still

Post by Still »

The first thing to do maybe, is to called them "Beginner" not just no0bs
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

There's a slight difference in terminoilogy here, I think (gg me can't spell):

Newbie(n.) Beginner, one who is new to the game.
N00b(n.) Little shithead, one who lacks a clue.

Also, nice one rage for being so helpful :) I usually end up defending in pubs so the newer peeps can go forward and score. I know the bit i like most about DB is scoring so ;).
Noko

Post by Noko »

How I would have loved a mentor like rage when I started playing...

But alas... alone was I to climb out of nOObdom.
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

and dont post on the public forum that you're letting them win oO
f1end

Post by f1end »

I think we should call the nübs (with an umlaut)
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

I think the nicest thing to take from this is that not only are people *saying* they want to help new guys out, but actually *doing* it. Too many times have I seen someone offering help, and then getting frustrated after 5 minutes and going back to flaming them.

gg rage :)
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

accidental dodging eh? ;)

n1 :)
CorDawg
Banned

Post by CorDawg »

heh, the only people in NA servers that bash newbies, are newbs themselves, people youve never seen before, and dont exactly know what theya re doing. they will say stuff like PASS IT SHITHEAD and a keep misses, WTF ARE YOU DOING. o//
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

yea same here, yesterday i "accidentally" didnt move to save a shot, and some geezer started spamming "WAKE UP" :D bloody young uns , no respect for there elders ;) .

Best thing ive seen so far is 2 newbies slagging each other off for being crap calling each other NOOBS!!!! heh about 1 hours experience between em :D

Oh and rage, i dint see ya accidentally dodging out of the way of my shots :ban: :ban: :ban:
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

I try to call them "rookies", and sofar that would make me the only one to do so..

I like letting them go out and do the O, I let the D slide a little too and it does make them fel good about the game. Hell, some of them have enven offered to take keeping off my hands. I love it!