Post by xiller8r »

not calling them n00bs might be a start:D
Panda

Post by Panda »

BINGO!

"Beginners' Day" - take note
CptSuicide

Post by CptSuicide »

Alrighty--I'm definitely a newbie (hello all) and know how not to scare newbies away :p . Mostly I think always too few players online...like there is 30 empty servers and one full. Then I go to empty server to wait more players and after a while there comes some highly arrogant (at least I sometimes get that feeling :D) dude that starts showing off some of his l337 skills and is like :noob: :lol: ::Pfffff:: . Well I'm cool with that , after all it is great to be good and it ends when more players arrive. But some newbies cannnot tolerate that and just leave and never play again. I'm not actually even trying to be good because it doesn't feel funny anymore if I take it too seriously. Playing seriously is also pretty good way to scare teh n00bz away. If you cannot tolerate bad players you are definitely playing too seriously. This is not only in deathball but in any other game aswell. I sometimes get pissed when new players cannot play onslaught but I dont shout that out loud or taunt them to death. The reason why people are so bad at this at first is that deathball really is so different from any other game out there (surprise?). I personally feel much more comfortable in volley only server than normal even though I don't know how to wolley :). But, I think it is better that "teh proh" atleast has to "do something" to score a goal against me. I once said that ingame and they told me to go learn basics first and I was like WTF mates, my skills don't have anything to do with me liking VO games.

okay :offtopic: could someone quickly anwer this so I don't have to make new thread. This one dude was showing off to me and my buddy today (fortunately not arrogant one :p ) all his moves made sense (and he was really good too) except his keeping tricks were bit unreal. He just seemed to have extremely fast reaction time...like when I was right next to him and there was plenty of room to shoot a free goal but when I shoot with pass to make instant shot he always dodged in front of the ball at the same second that I shot. He did it like 10 times and I was like :eek: wtf. When I'm keeper I usually don't even shape the dimensions let alone predict when the dude is going to shoot. I mean Is there some hidden tricks for keepers? (I guess I should have searched for this first if this is too obious)...(I hope I made any sense)

BTW. overally deathball kicks ass :p
Panda

Post by Panda »

Well firstly, keepers move more quickly than out-field players and also they have the ability to dodge - this may explain why you perceived him to have unthinkably quick reaction times.

By no means am I claiming to be a "1337 k33p0r" (those that have seen me in recent pickups will comfirm that I'm not) but it is true that with practice, you do develop a sort of instinct for what an attacker will do. Fortunately for myself as an attacking player, it is also possible to develop an instinct for being able to estimate what a keeper will do :p
McTaggart

training?

Post by McTaggart »

I am a complete n00b at DB. My problem is that I play but have no idea wats going on. As a suggestion, is it possible to do a training type thing somewhat like the hazard course in HL (or any onther fps)? That would help us understand what was going on, not get scared off so easily, and maybe have some skills when we play. Other than that, maybe a tip (on the loading screen) that says "go here to learn how to play". [edit]may ... hball]here for that url?
Last edited by McTaggart on 13-06-2004 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

An official video tutorial is in the editing process, and there is also an independant guide being written that should cover pretty every aspect of the game.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

MacTaggart: your url is a mapping tutorial, it has nothing to do with actually playing the game.

As plaer said, a video tutorial is currently being made, but before that comes out you might want to take a look at Inphidel's Rookie guide.

Or go to http://www.db-community.com for Beginners' Nights and more events for you to train with more experienced players.
Messy

Post by Messy »

CptSuicide: You might not be aware that it is clearly visible for keepers to see where you are aiming :)
He also has the ability to dodge, unlike field players.

A pass shot also isn't exactly fast, compaired to a charged up one.
Try charging up a 110 km/h + ball at least.

You may also try changing corners during charging up, just start by aiming at the right upper corner, charge your shot, and at the last moment aim at the left corner.

Also, I think apart from some assholes, I think you may find most of us to be rather nice.

McTaggart: Nobody is going to remember an URL if they see it for a short amount of time in the loading screen.

Also, there might not be a tutorial atm, but if anyone new to this game ever needs help, apart from some quick tips in-game, I'm pretty sure a lot of pro players are willing to help out.

One good thing to do is to go on irc.quakenet.org and join #deathball as well as #dbcommunity and #dbpickup (if you are ready for pickup games, if you do not know what this means, ask people in there :))

Also feel free to message me (/msg Messy), and we can always go find an empty server to train around in and teach you some stuff :)
CptSuicide

Post by CptSuicide »

Yes I'm aware that keepers can dodge 'n stuff but the timing was just too unreal to me. It was like this: he always waited that I came nex to him (well I tried from distance aswell but with no luck) and stood right next to a goalpost. Then he caught my shot. It wasn't always exactly like this but the situation was pretty similar every time. Of course it might be that I'm just too predictable...or paranoid...or dump.
I think he was making fun of me :D .
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

When I first started DeathBall around 2 weeks ago I wanted to stop playing after like 2 games. At the time there were only euro servers with people and EVERYONE was rude. Everyone was passing the ball off the walls to themselves and scoring, not passing.. and once they found out you were new, they would avoid passing it to you and keep mentioning that you were a noob everytime you tried something with the ball (vo is pretty hard on your first day ^_^) So I closed the game and was like "Screw this game, there isn't even that many servers, I don't need to put up with this shit".

But the next day I decided to go play again and seen a low ping server (the BuD server) so right away I noticed I could actually hit the ball when it was infront of me. Also, everyone was pretty much nice and passing because it wasn't VO (I guess VO brings out the evil in people). So then I started to get in to it and learn it and now I don't even play reg UT anymore *_*

Although you still get the random jackasses who think they're "pimp shit" and pass to themselves alot and just go cherry pickin to get the ball to pass to himself somemore. Or guys like [9]BUTT who came in a server last night and was like "Man 2.0 sucks, 1.9 is much better, DavidM sucks cock on his free time updating this crap". We get it, you're afraid of change, just like everyone who hates sequels to games because they were good in the original but the updated one you have to relearn and are afraid to..

Allright, that's my take on the community. Long live DeathBall!
The_One

Post by The_One »

Keepers have the power of telepathy.
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

Munkey wrote:
Although you still get the random jackasses who think they're "pimp shit" and pass to themselves alot and just go cherry pickin to get the ball to pass to himself somemore. Or guys like [9]BUTT who came in a server last night and was like "Man 2.0 sucks, 1.9 is much better, DavidM sucks cock on his free time updating this crap". We get it, you're afraid of change, just like everyone who hates sequels to games because they were good in the original but the updated one you have to relearn and are afraid to..

Allright, that's my take on the community. Long live DeathBall!

Butt.. is the biggest moron I've ever seen anyway
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

ahaha butt's getting owned everywhere

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sh ... did=389607

:lol:
Messy

Post by Messy »

No, that's GFK ;)

Aaanyway, Munkey: Yes, that's why I've always avoided pubs until now.

People of the generations 1.8, 1.9 etc. all seemed to be annoying selfish arrogant VO-kiddies (the 'vo-jugend' as I like to call them).

I hope you will find most people have opened up, most annoying jackasses have dissapeared, and a lot of people are helping out newbies.

Hope you have fun playing DB, although I can imagine it being a bit harder in NA, seeing as not only are their little servers from what I know, people are mostly extremely high-skilled.

As to CptSuicide once more: either you were playing a bot, or he was really lucky, or you were just looking at the place you were gonna shoot at hours before =P

No keep would stand there like a bot and wait for you to stand near a post =\ Also..chances are that he wasn't exactly standing at the other post as you said, from there it's practically impossible to reach the other side in time ^^; he was probably in the middle :)

So unless he was a superkeeper of the likes I've never seen, you were probably either really unlucky or predictable ;)
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Messy wrote: No, that's GFK ;)

Aaanyway, Munkey: Yes, that's why I've always avoided pubs until now.

People of the generations 1.8, 1.9 etc. all seemed to be annoying selfish arrogant VO-kiddies (the 'vo-jugend' as I like to call them).

I hope you will find most people have opened up, most annoying jackasses have dissapeared, and a lot of people are helping out newbies.

Hope you have fun playing DB, although I can imagine it being a bit harder in NA, seeing as not only are their little servers from what I know, people are mostly extremely high-skilled.
Oh, I'm already getting better. Still gots lots to learn but I'm getting there. I've read Inphs newbie and "now I can pwn".

:p \o/