Concept Sketch of new model

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

DavidM

Post by DavidM »

the glow is too subtle (and ugly)
ZyCho

Post by ZyCho »

DavidM wrote: the glow is too subtle (and ugly)
Rings are ugly too (VERY ugly, no matter which color)!

I think it would be nice if you could choose among different amours, shoulderpads, helmets, glasses, and maybe some of the colors on the suit (not the main color, as that would make it too hard distinguising the teams), boots, thigh pads, shinpads, gloves(big metal club-like gloves, to thin leather gloves to no gloves, you get the idea), and maybe some armour for the arms too.

For the ball, i think picture 2 in Rino's post could look cool with some glow inside, though i still like the skull-idea. Maybe you could make some particles circle around it, instead of the ugly 2D wannabe electron. If something neds to look like it circles around the ball, then make it circle around for real.

About my post about smoke and rings, i was in a hurry, forgot about the smoke, but i still think that the rings are ugly and have to go! If something needs to be around the ball, try and make something else, like an energy shield thing which is semi-transparent.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

I like it, keep up the good work on the models.
BrileyPS
Banned

Post by BrileyPS »

Cool suggestion guys, I'll be working on the model and building some of the suggestions so far. I'll talk further with David about the effects of the ball, and hopefully we can come up with something cool.
Rino, yeah I played the original Speedball on my amiga...and was sorta what I was thinking along the lines of, although I couldn't for the life of me remember that game name. Just remember that you had a ball and alot of fun ensued:) Thanks again for the responses guys, and I look forward to hearing more.

BrileyPS
Artist
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

Might be a bit late but I just wanna pop by and say that the concept looks great, nice going Briley :)
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Now that I've thought about it more, rings are really the best option for an effect around the ball. Just look at the BR ball in the top left of the this forum page. The ball is clearly visible. Other ideas that I and others have posted, would just blur and obstruct the view of the ball and surrounding area.

The rings work because they highlight but don't really obstruct your view. That ball concept is excellent. Why hide it in an effect or smoke.

The rings themselves could be altered. Instead of solid lines for rings, make flares that circle the ball in rings.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

omg you read my mind
:O
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

absolutely alsome
CurvE

Post by CurvE »

Twigstir wrote: A combo of Inphidel and The_Ones could be explored. I not sure a bigger ball will look good at all or fit with the models and gun. The rings work - you just need something different.

A round glowing/pulsating/radiating something that goes around the ball. Maybe something similar to the shield effect that is around the power core in ONS - just in a sphere and different color. Or a similar effect to an engine flame. Toned down with no white but something that feels like the ball is radiating power. A intense yellow (or what ever color) that radiates outward in all directions and fades out.

You could have customizable rings? either turn them off, on, 2 colors, Color1: Color2:

And about that sphere, the spehere could be transparent, with a water look to it, and if hit by person on red team, it could glow red, visa versa for blue... dunno, i just have a feeling that would look rather c000l
XiD

Post by XiD »

I love both the ball and character. The eye tattoo is a very nice effect.

A suggestion on the ball rings - Maybe spikes that stick out from it? Hell i would be afraid to catch a spinning spike-covered ball if it came hurtling at my face :O plus maybe the rightmousebutton newbs would give it a rest xD. I also like Inph's idea a lot, sounds really cool if you could pull it off.

As for the glowing color - maybe you could make multiple types? I don't know, just some change for every once and a while. Purple, gold, green, bright orange, brown...maybe you could change color of rings by admin command. Therefore you dont have peeps bitching about a "gay" or "lame" color, and everyone can be happy. Dunno just throwin it out there :o

On the character models - why not add this new model, and keep the old? Hell, you have 2 fully working models right there. Beginning of a huge diversity of choices. Keep all the same choices for the first model, and add different choices for the badass gothguy model. Could spice things up nicely, while still keeping diversity.

Agree with most of the above, keep up the great work.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

how about depending on ball speed the ball changes from a dark green to a bright yellow or something, i think that would look cool if the ball looks dark and dead, then somebody volley spams it past you at a billion miles an hour and it would be really really bright flying past your face

edit: obviously not the whole ball changing colour, but just a little bit like in the picture where the skull's eyes and mouth are lit up
f1end

Post by f1end »

Inphidel wrote: well if you need the 2 radius's you could do somthing like those electric glass balls, that you touch and the electricity comes out to eh glass.

cept not as much electricty as this, just enough to get the idea of the radius

Like that idea a lot tbh
BrileyPS
Banned

Post by BrileyPS »

Alot of cool ideas guys, will help me get things tweaked on the ball. I think we have a good start on the ball effects, and now i have to concentrate on the model addons and such. So if you can keep tossing me those ideas it would be much appreciated.

BrileyPS
Artist

P.S: I have also been talking to a friend about redoing the site, add a more proffesional look to it, when and if we get it done..I would appreciate you guys spreading the word about Deathball:) Which I'm sure your doing allready, I just want this game not to be just a mod, but the best mod out there.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

A fucking men
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Fantastic sketch mate!