No 3 Line Pass rule Suggestion.

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Inphidel

No 3 Line Pass rule Suggestion.

Post by Inphidel »

No 3-Line Pass Rule for Deathball.

What is No 3 line pass rule?.

The Field is split into 3 zones The Red Zone, Neutral Zone, and Blue Zone. The ball can never be sent from a teams own zone into the opponents zone without being tagged in the neutral zone. However if a team passes from the opponents zone back into their own zone its considered fair play. The ball only triggers a 3 line pass foul if it is tagged by an offending player, which it then will kill him on contact. Tagged is considered a Volley, Bounce or of course a catch.

Examples of an 3 line pass

1. Blue moves the ball into the red zone and turns it over. Immediately the red team passes it to a hanging player in the blue zone. When the red player tries to catch it he is instantly killed for a 3 line pass. The ball then resets in the blue teams keeper control.

2. Blue team in the blue zone intercepts a shot with a volley it sails downfield into the red zone where a blue player moves up into the zone and tries to pick it up, he is instantly killed for a three line pass.

Examples of a fair pass crossing 3 lines

1. Red team is in their zone and attempt to pass it to another player in their zone, a blue player intercepts it with a volley but inadvertantly hits it back torward their own zone, where a red player happens to be hanging uncontested. Because it was last touched by a blue player it is a fair ball in their own zone. The red player then picks it up safely and moves in for a goal

2. A blue player in the red zone is looking for a pass and receives some presure from the red team, he then passes it back to the blue keeper where it is intercepted by a red player safely in the blue zone.

Ways to move the ball into the opposite zone fast?

1. Red keeper gets the ball and passes it up into the neutral zone where a red player volleys it to a team mate already waiting in the blue zone. Since it was tagged in the neutral zone it is a safe ball and safe to be caught.

2. Red keeper bombs it into the blue zone where a blue player volleys it at the wall. Since the blue team tagged the ball it is now flagged safe in the blue zone and is then picked up by a player already in the blue zone.

Why have a no 3 line pass rule?

The premise behind this is to allow more room for a team to move all of their players with the exception of keep of course into better attacking position. since its harder for a team to just bomb a pass downfield to a waiting hanger next to the opposing teams penalty box for a easy 1 on 1 chance. while its still possible to pass to a player deep in the other zone, there is more time for a team to boost back and cover him.

with the addition of the old style defensive player able to move up with the rest of the team for an attack they can build up a better attack against the opposing team.

The main idea is to put the stress of defense on the entire team rather then one 'hanger protection' player.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Generally these things sound nice, but usually it won't work too well imo :(

This could be better for Deathball (I think) than Goldy's offside though, since Goldy's half-court is a *bit* too far from the goal.

I'd be willing to try it out..but I'm not sure if it will work :)
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

I don't like this idea, and i don't think it will work.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Like most of my suggestions they all rely on characteristics map makers put into their maps. this one volumes to set where the zones are.

they team areas can be as close or as far away from the pbox or in whatever shape they desire. these all make for different map possibilities.
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

btw, i've updated the mutator and told it not to crash ;)

http://forums.gameservers.net/showthrea ... post462622
Fragger

Post by Fragger »

Gread idea inph, hopefully its doable.
priior

Post by priior »

this idea is awesome!

it could even be modified to check for offside... 3 line pass only allowed if there are defenders between last opponent and goal.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

I like this idea. Only for big maps though.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

a decent idea for large maps as Sixty says. Not much point in smaller, faster ones.

Its seems like a variation of a ice hockey rule - not that i play ice hockey.

One possible flaw in the plan.....

say there are 2 blue players in the red zone. a blue player from the blue zone passes to one of the two attackers in the red zone thus breaking the 3-line pass rule.

If the receiving player is killed and the ball is spawned at the keeper spot, what is to stop the other attacker camping the ball respawn point and just volleying a goal?
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

there would be a keeper there ^
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

in responce to camping the keeper:

the ball doesnt spawn in the ground. the other team keeper just gets possetion upon kill. so basicly the other team catches it. exploders the ball is then already in the opposing teams keepers gun ready to be passed/shot

and i'm updating my opinion

after playing a few games of 2.4 i don't really see its need in 2.4 - it would be really good for 2.3 but in 2.4 getting a full charge off is hard enough. if the map was bigger then standard size it would probably be good

I still want a no-keeper pbox zone - can someone make me a mutator? i want to make some keeperless maps games moving goals etc. basketball hoops la la la./
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

To get 'oldschool' penzones:

Just browse in ued's actor browser to actor->brush->volume->db_volume (placeable classes only must be unchecked). right click -> new, Package: myLevel, Name: DB_PenVolume

in the popped up window replace the text for DB_PenVolume with

Code: Select all

//===========================
// DB_PenVolume.
//===========================
class DB_PenVolume extends DB_Volume;

function PostBeginPlay()
{
  Super(Volume).PostBeginPlay();
}
(it just overrides DB_Volumes PostBeginPlay function which changes PenZones to KeepZones...)

next select Tools -> compile changed. (should write something like "Success: Compiled 11 lines, 3 statements." in the code-editors statusline)

save your map.
done.

now just use the DB_PenVolume instead of DB_Volume when you want to insert a PenaltyZone...
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Goldeneye coded the 3 line passing mutator with a few options. You can set it up so that a violation results in all players in the enemy zone getting killed and the ball just travels on. The players get killed when the ball passes the line into the enemy zone.

This keeps all players from cherry picking and getting long bomb passes for a quick 1 on 1 with the keeper but, still allows some deep passing. Players can follow the ball into the zone so a keeper could bomb the ball off the back wall, laying the ball out for an attacker to pick up. Mainly you can deep pass to attackers on the wings with this twist to the mutator.

Goldeneye did a good job in setting up this mutator with options.