Silliest logical mistake you made

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

dodireri

Post by dodireri »

chulen wrote: maybe not the silliest, but one i have to remember...

i was on level2, i did it the address way, and thought i was cheating... almost quit the game because of that "mistake"

I did the same thing :rolleyes:.
vezza

Post by vezza »

starting to play this game, now I'm riddling my way through my dreams at night !
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

I make silly mistakes all the time, but I tend to forget (read repress) them, so it is impossible for me to name a certain one. :)
Sourcerer

Post by Sourcerer »

In level #16 I incorrectly decoded the first letter of the password. Took me 4 ours to figure it out. I had it start with "e" rather than with what it really does start with. All other letters I decoded fine.

And to think! Had I not made this mistake, I could have solved the riddle in 15 minutes.
Ayane

Post by Ayane »

After having decoded <removed>, I kept reading "...what is EE?". I spent a good amount of time looking up possible meanings for the abbreviation "EE" and entering them in vain until a friend of mine I was chatting with at that time pointed out that I had combined the letters in a wrong way.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Interrupted doing notpron due to a lack of time and endurance. Meanwhile, moved to a new flat without taking my computer (and the notpron bookmarks!) with me -> stuck at #59 for the f*****g 2nd time, though *sob*
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Just one book from the library:
Saw a yellow double-cut electric guitar,.
Put in Tamworth.
...:confused:
started googling for guitar brand names.
Never scrolled down the source page. :P
Last edited by BlackJack on 15-07-2006 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
edeshi

Post by edeshi »

on 54-b i spent all night making sense of periodic elements, and studying al the chemestry pdfs i found to get the ans... u can imagine the kinda scream that came out, when i realize the answer.

owned xD
toniabarone

Post by toniabarone »

Clicking on the link a friend sent over IM one Friday evening. "This is a cool puzzle my hubby is doing. You'll love it!"

A week later it's eaten my life. :confused:

But I also almost thought it was cheating in Level 2 to go to the address bar. But my all time silliest so far? In 12 I ignored the dragon, yes. I listed out the items, yes. <removed>. *facepalm* Regional traditions just suck in this case.
Last edited by toniabarone on 28-07-2006 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

That was too close to a spoiler, sorry.
toniabarone

Post by toniabarone »

No, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure myself.
Lashout

Post by Lashout »

8: Googled 'Jaypack', found a German band of the name and spent way too long searching through their lyrics for something relative to the level...

14: Same mistake as above.

39: I'd clean forgot about that hint from the earlier level, and spent weeks trying to make a 14-letter word from those numbers in the source, while wondering what the calculator's for when you can't get 14 numbers on it!

46: Got the answer fairly quickly, entered it into the URL... and was surprised when it didn't work. So tried several other possibilities (i.e. canging and rearranging the letters), to no avail. About three days later I tried something else out of desperation... when the un/pw box came up I could have broken the keyboard with my head.
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

8: What do you think why there is that comment that THIS Jaypack is NOT a band?! :D

46: :lol:
beinsane

Post by beinsane »

Silliest logical mistake: not joining the forums earlier.

You'd think that after googling for hint pages repeatedly, I'd learn that most external sites have spoilers, but nooooooooo... :rolleyes:

(#2 silliest would be thinking 82 was an actual puzzle that had to be solved to get to 0.)
Lashout

Post by Lashout »

Kisa wrote: 8: What do you think why there is that comment that THIS Jaypack is NOT a band?! :D

46: :lol:

Because I hadn't figured to read the source code then (at the time I didn't even know what that was *blushes*).

Definitely my daftest :noob: moment there.