2.4i

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

The_One

2.4i

Post by The_One »

Not sure if I've played the final version (deathball24iupdate.zip dated Aug 30 2006 02:15:32 AM).

Anyway, are those sounds the final choice (if not, feel free to ignore the following paragraph /cough)? What's the hissing sound supposed to be? Surely, since the ball is a skull, some sort of scream or moan would be better suited? Also, the bounce sound doesn't sound very natural. Can't imagine the ball making that sound after bouncing off someone.

Liking the curve and the way the ball spins. Finally you've fixed the way curved shots bounce! Good job.
Last edited by The_One on 30-08-2006 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you got used to a rather shitty bounce sound, now it changed and it feels weird at first :P

did you ever play football and had a hard ball coming at you? they hiss like that \o

the curve shot bounce stuff is all still rather bad and needs a lot of tweaking. we'll do that in the next days.
The_One

Post by The_One »

DavidM wrote: you got used to a rather shitty bounce sound, now it changed and it feels weird at first :P
Not saying the old one was good. This isn't much better though. We'll see. It's hardly a game breaker.
DavidM wrote: did you ever play football and had a hard ball coming at you? they hiss like that \o
/Cough
Bullshit
/Cough

:D

I get that you're trying to create the sound of air rushing but it doesn't sound like it. As I said, it's a skull. Common, let that thing wail! This is deathball not snakeball!
Last edited by The_One on 30-08-2006 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

it would feel wrong and made no sense.
now a fast ball just feels even faster with that natural hissing sound. people would just ask wtf that is if you made it wail :P

the only problem is that slow balls hiss too
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

Really fast ball comes at u.... *tiny bounce sound* ..... :\

the new bounce sound makes the ball seem like a beach ball not a metal skull like the other sounds imply (last sound wasn't right either... sounded like plastic)

waiting for the balance between left/right vs. up/down spin :P the ball movement looks a lot better though... on the whole a better version this time

but are u going to make much more new stuff before fixing all the existing game bugs ? ;)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

priior is starting to make some sounds. let's see what we get there :)

we'll fix the ball physics, and then that's about it for the new features. trying to fix hammer bug and server crash bugs then :/
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

Ah... thats good to hear :)
The_One

Post by The_One »

I concur.
Noko

Post by Noko »

did you ever play football and had a hard ball coming at you? they hiss like that
Ever played football with a skull?
Lal_wtf

Post by Lal_wtf »

Sorry but I have to say /o\ to that.
Anyway, i agree with the bounce sound being a bit... quiet and like a thud. Sounds more like you are absorbing it rather than bouncing it back infront of you.

Also I'm still trying to get the up and down banana shots to work with my mouse. Seem to have some compatability issues with my 7 button mouse and ut2004 :hmmmz:. It's a bit ungainly to have to use the keyboard for up and down curve, but that's a problem on my side.

Anyway, I love the way that when you put spin on the ball and it hits a surface it bounces off the way it should, but while the ball is in flight and it dips unnaturally, it makes it hard for a keeper to save because he jumps up and it goes under him/her... Well maybe that was the point, but I like to keep every now and then and it annoys me... I probably just need to get used to it :D.
Thanks for the updates, adding some great stuff.
EsorcismoNJD

Post by EsorcismoNJD »

You need the sound from that Simpsons episode where Moleman makes the movie "Man Getting Hit By Football" and gets hit in the nads with a football...

By the way, VO gametype for this version...
http://web.njit.edu/~amp8/files/VO_24i.zip
DoMmeh``

Post by DoMmeh`` »

tbh imo its enough the sounds what they are like now. "theres a rly fast ball flying straight to you and then a tiny bounce sound" i don't think the balls appear that fast that you just think wtf when it bounces, tbh i didn't evn notice that, but fuck my opinion :p. Nevertheless i think u shudn't be too detailed imo its a dmn work to fix a adequate sound to evry different speed the ball has.
XiD

Post by XiD »

uh oh priior is in charge of the sounds...get ready to ruin
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

After playing on November a bit today, i thought i shud ask... why are there no bug report threads ? just post in the current v thread ?

- As much fun as playing corner to corner backspin passes to Noko outside the november is ;)
The_One

Post by The_One »

You're free to start threads yourself.