VO Sub community

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

EsorcismoNJD

Post by EsorcismoNJD »

Truth also lacks outside-the-box thinking which marks the point irrelevant. Face it, the UT2004 community is going down. You're not gonna get the influx of noobs you're hoping for, at least not enough to cancel out the exodus due to 2.4's adoption at least from what I've seen so far in the NA environment. We had about 55 people during the 2.3 era, now we have about 35. Note that these numbers represent peak times. Also note that the 35 also includes some emigrated euros to our channel. Kinda hard to have 6v6 or 5v5 when you don't have the 12 or 10 players to play. When a noob installs DB (as infrequently as it's happened) and sees empty pubs then deletes it, well... c'est la vie!
Orney

Post by Orney »

what a negativ thinking u got, we try form the game better not to just "its good like it is and we let it" because its not really death. I think its better to walk up and not just stay in the middle/down.
maybe its your argument but i bet its not of a new player who want to see the whole game the right teamplay and all it got. VO is a border belive it or not its the true.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Its true, a noob does see empty servers and deletes the mod.

think about it tho. pubs died out alot durring the 2.3 last leg of deathball. its not the games fault. its the communities fault

deathball is being made into its final rendition. not for the sake of the community i beleive but for the sake of davidm finally realizing what he wanted db to be. not just what the community wants to adapt from his original release.

its well in his right to do it. if someone really wants db to be different then it is. whats to stop them from taking the time to make their own mod. like cata is doing.

davidm and Team vortex doenst owe the community anything, he's given everyone many years of fun with deathball, and everyones given nothing but greif save for a few.

so whatevers! VO is fun, but who cares if its included or not.
Orney

Post by Orney »

1. i see more player now.
2. new players know the community got a reallife too and they know people are working or got school.. whatever so the connect to another time.
3. new players want to play another maps not everytime smallcube!
4. The biggest fun you'll find in a 5v5, thats what makes db complete.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

5 vs 5 longball is alright but, far too boring all by itself.
Orney

Post by Orney »

with the new speed its not relly boring. and the point is to create a teambased game what needs time to make a correct move, not just shooting around in a small map like smallcube.. where you go creazy to look fast in all directions.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Different strokes for different folks. It's always wise to give consideration to different styles. There is no best way to play this game. The best way is an individual thing.
Orney

Post by Orney »

the best way to play db is use his brain and take his time.
amen
The_One

Post by The_One »

I'd rather use my own. I'll take someone else's eyes though. :devil:
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Same here, I'll use my own brain too. Far too many people are missing parts or all of thiers.
Messy

Post by Messy »

EsorcismoNJD wrote: People can't just leave and join during a 5v5 without some kinda confusion.

Yeah, because VO isn't confusing?

As a noob (before the servers even showed in the browser..lol; think 0.9, 1.0, 1.1..maybe 1.2 too?) I only played with mates on my own hosted machine.
When I first joined a pub server (some URLs were on deathball.net) I was shouted at for scoring and thought "sod it."

I think there are many like me that quit because of VO :\ keep in mind that this was even before there was a set VO mode, so someone technically could still walk in and think 'fuck this' and change the game around.

I don't understand why such a piece of epileptic crap can be an acquired taste (much less how it could be much fun), but it is, and it scares people off hugely.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Messy wrote: As a noob (before the servers even showed in the browser..lol; think 0.9, 1.0, 1.1..maybe 1.2 too?) I only played with mates on my own hosted machine.
When I first joined a pub server (some URLs were on deathball.net) I was shouted at for scoring and thought "sod it."

I think there are many like me that quit because of VO :\ keep in mind that this was even before there was a set VO mode, so someone technically could still walk in and think 'fuck this' and change the game around.

VO has almost always been popular and there were huge problems before VO was coded in. Now, some are working hard to take this back to the most noob unfriendly days.

VO has always been hugely attractive. If new players come into this mod, it will likely become hugely popular again.

People never quit because VO exists. They quit if they can't find or have a hard time finding something they like. It's not VO's fault if people don't like regular enough to put up public regular servers and populate them.

If you put up public regular deathball servers and populate them, then new players will find you and join you.
Last edited by Twigstir on 16-09-2006 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Twigstir wrote: If you put up public regular deathball servers and populate them, then new players will find you and join you.
This is a step most pickup players are unwilling to take.
Desaster

Post by Desaster »

I changed the default gameclass back to deathball some days ago, although VO-Mutator is still votable.

Looks like that deathball is more played
as VO now...

But I don't think that VO screws many new player away, you can say it is the same with the current keeper situation.

If a new player joins he get 10 shots = 10 goals, he will leave also......

If just some more pickup idle would join some pub sessions, we could have player on 2 servers, but it's a never ending story....
Last edited by Desaster on 17-09-2006 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

VO picks up on public servers cuz you can't just shoot the ball in right away. so even on an oddman'd game 2-3 players per team. its not just catch it and shoot it in for a goal right away.

thus it doenst feel to easy to score or to hard to save right away making it more appealing for when servers are low in population.

deathball suffers from lack of pub type game design. its not a fun gameto play with only 4 players

you want a pub. Auto-Bot balancing so its atleast 3v3 all the time and up. and fix the code so a bot wants to become keeper at the start of each round so the net isnt wide open.

i know ppl sometimes like to be keep. but more often then not people want to be the one scoring. and end up leaving the net on pubs. these are the issues that should be addressed somehow.