but you are a 15 year old who knows that mx = evil
BlackFlame

Post by BlackFlame »

i willl make a jedi yet
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

DavidM wrote: I use the behaviour to judge that :/

Some 15 year old kids I talked to are more mature than some who are 30+
Sarcasm, sah. Age has nothing at all to do with the maturity, and you call people kids if they're being mature.
f1end

Post by f1end »

What was this thread about again...

/me forgets
cajuncook

Post by cajuncook »

2COOL4-U wrote: MachDelta, I couldn't agree more(except for the volley part BUT I do agree it's way over used)

So then you could agree more...? ;)

Anyway, this topic was very well put. I was never a real newbie. I had been playing off-line from the very first day 1.0 came out until May or some time around then (or April according to my folder change dates..? whatever). The first time I played online, I had absolutely no clue what was going on. These guys were gods to me; bots were all I had known. Also only playing in a low gravity enviorment.. I was in for a real shock. But I knew how to play. I knew how to pass, I knew how to keep (sort of), I knew how to protect the ball carrier, I knew how to place a regular shot. It took some getting used to, but it wasn't that long before I was playing at a decent enough level where I could be in a pub game and be congratulated for playing well.

I never asked questions. I just copied what I saw and then put my own little twist on it. The first time somebody asked me "What is a volley?" .. I was a little confused. I thought back to the months I had played in darkness about volleys (vollies? nah). They left shortly after I explained it to them, probably because they fault stupid for not knowing it or something. I really did know what it was like feeling completely stupid for making a ridiculously dumb move in a game.. but I guess I never knew just how bad it was when somebody explaining the game to you, you disconnect from the server due to confusion. I've been nice to people ever since.

As for maps.. whatever. I never really tire of maps, and with a game based on soccer, there isn't much variety you can place in the game and still have the game flow smoothly with the action always coming. I have my favorite map to screw around on, and my 3 favorite maps to play on. I don't care at all. New maps are a lot of fun to see, but generally all of the ideas have been taken and shoved down our throats. Maps that are fresh and exciting usually don't follow the DB style.

Oh, man, it's late. :-\

5 in the morning. Bed.
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

Altho i'm not gonna state all my opinions about the original topic nor most of the stuff in this thread, i have a few things to say:

As for the servers, if u want a good game and play on one of those passworded servers with 10 ppl who know stuff, make sure u know how to play (by playing on..yes, pubs and maybe *eeck* even offline), then go to #dbpickup on irc.quakenet.org and join a pickup :o

It's that easy.

Besides that, one more short thing about the entire NA-Euro thing. IMO it's one of the most annoying things in the DB community and its fscking useless.
I dont know what makes NA ppl act badly on quakenet or on the forums, but somehow most v3 ppl and yes, even surge, are very nice normal ppl on progameplayers. I've been idling in #ballers for about a month now and i can tell u it's almost like it's different ppl O_o (wow :eek: ).

A few more quick suggestions in the end about how to solve some community-probs:

- Newbie servers (where newbies play with newbies) as mentioned in another thread;
- DB Tutorial map with fly-trough, commentary etc. as mentioned earlier too (in the news i think);
- More linking to the Player's guide by makush (or an official player's guide, trust me it will help);
- More fwiendly idlers in #ballers <8-D
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

rofl@messaih ppl in ballers acting normal, thats a first ;) :p
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

about those people who rent servers that must be passworded...

surely you could just post what the password is here in the forums

Or have the server name something like

"Team l33t's server. **PASSWORD**"

Or would gamesnet fine you? :P
The_One

Post by The_One »

they don't let you have the password in the server's name.
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

'gameservers.net' as they are called, does not allow posting of passwords in forums, on irc, in the server line etc., as stated in their rules page, which u can find @ their page.

And hell yes they will fine u :) Since u didnt buy that server as a pub, if u want to buy a public server u will have to pay more.
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Then we'll have to invent some sort of code!!
I suggest a series of blinks.

The password for my server is:

O_O
^_O
O_O
^_^
O_^
~_^

See you there!!
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

if they ever see the server with less than 5 members from the clan actually renting it the clan is busted
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

Still dunno how that works with pickups tho =|

And what if there are only 4 ppl playing :o
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

ok, well what if we agree upon some constand, let's say the word "DEATHBALL".

You could easily do something like "server password" XOR "DEATHBALL", and you would get some weird string. You then put that string in the server name (which is not against Gamesnet rules).

Then if people want to know the password to your server, they simply XOR the weird string with "DEATHBALL".

Hey, it isn't against the rules ^_^

**Edit**
Oh, and if any of the Gameservers people ask why the server name is "GameServers-Team l33t-FkL$i*f", DavidM can cover for us saying it's a bug with Deathball

:D :D :D :D
Last edited by Astroboy on 09-07-2003 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Diab

Post by Diab »

er...no not really.