I started a riddle!!

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

I started a riddle!!

Post by gamemastertips »

Hey everyone,

After beating level NotPr0n earlier this summer, I was inspired to try my own hand at an online riddle.
The URL is http://www.gamemastertips.com/cipher. It's brand new so expect a few bugs. It currently has 20 levels but I plan to add (alot) more in the future. I'm simply looking for people to give it a go and tell me what they think in this forum thread. I will, of course, eventually create a forum for the riddle itself.

Thanks to those who try it! Feedback and constructive criticism is what I need, and is much appreciated.

Gamemastertips
carly

Re: I started a riddle!!

Post by carly »

Hey :)

I gave your riddle a try, it looked really nicely designed with the logo and everything and the levels all worked great, I wouldn't have known it was brand new. The levels themselves started out with a few easy ones then got more difficult, they were all pretty coherent and there were enough clues to figure it out, I did get stuck for a minute on 9 and 11 but both were followed by that wonderful "aha!" feeling when it clicks what you need to do. But they were all pretty fun :) My favorite level was probably level 15 which I thought was clever, although I also liked 17, and 9, 6, and 16... you get the idea I liked quite a lot of them! Looking forward to more levels! Oh and just let me know if you want feedback on anything in particular :) theres not much to suggest in the way of improvements, apart from more levels of course, it all seemed very good already, thanks for that! :D
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Thanks, carly!

That's great to hear! Part of the idea for 15 goes to Neutral riddle. I just sort of improved it a bit. The rest of the level ideas are pretty original, aside from the first few which are pretty much just the standard ones you'd find at the begining of any riddle. And if I may be slightly arrogant, I am quite proud of 17 myself lol. :D

More levels will come...I just wanted to test the waters with the basic premise and see what people think.

Thanks again.
Kodret

Post by Kodret »

I like it, keep the levels coming
now I have something to do besides cracking my head with the minus levels :D

I found a minor detail on level 8 and 14, the image happens to have a black surrounding that slightly differs from the background black, so I can tell where the pic ends (I know it's barely a thing, but if you aim for perfection, it'll be as good as it can get)
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Kodret wrote:I like it, keep the levels coming
now I have something to do besides cracking my head with the minus levels :D

I found a minor detail on level 8 and 14, the image happens to have a black surrounding that slightly differs from the background black, so I can tell where the pic ends (I know it's barely a thing, but if you aim for perfection, it'll be as good as it can get)
Thanks Kordet,

Yeha lol I noticed that at first but I think I might have forgotten about later on. Thanks for the reminder and I'll fix it as soon as I get the chance. Oh, and, @Carly, what did you think about level 14? Was the message a bit too hard to hear?
carly

Post by carly »

I actually understood it right off, which is saying something as it often takes me a few listens to get them. But I don't know how hard it would be for non-native english speakers especially. oh and about level 15, I hadn't seen it before, but the funny thing is, I randomly chose Neutral Riddle to have a look at afterwards, having forgotten all about it, and guess which level I'd been stuck on :D thank you level 15 :D

oh yeah, and I'll PM you a couple of little things, they don't really matter too much but if you're that into perfection :)
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Thanks!
BTW it's nice to see this thread so overrun with smileys!! :D :) :D
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Some improvements have been made:

Level 8 and 14 picture "borders" are deleted.
Level 4 href bug has been fixed.
Level 16 "key error" has been fixed.
Level 9 music has been redone and is now more realistic and easier to hear.
Nirvana

Post by Nirvana »

Nice riddle) but it would be even better if it was a bit harder)
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Thanks! It's far from finished, mind you. :) What do you think if I removed the title hint from 18 and decapitalized the letters in 17? Kordet suggested that it would make it more challenging. BTW as a note to everyone here, is the problem on 20 fixed? I checked the HTML of the google page and the bg is black like it's supposed to be....
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Okay the background thing is cleared up now.
I decided I'm going to remove the hint on 18 but keep the caps in 17, just for the sake of people who aren't as good with english.

Thinking up another 10 levels or so...will get to work on them as soon I as I have time. I guarantee them to be a tad harder. :)
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

CIPHER RIDDLE IS LIVE!!

30 levels have been complete and a support forum has been added. To anyone who's tried the riddle so far or would like to give it a go, do so now! Thank you all for your feedback for the first 20 levels. :)
grz

Post by grz »

gamemastertips wrote:CIPHER RIDDLE IS LIVE!!

30 levels have been complete and a support forum has been added. To anyone who's tried the riddle so far or would like to give it a go, do so now! Thank you all for your feedback for the first 20 levels. :)
Awesome, i'll check it out :D
gamemastertips
Certified Finisher

Post by gamemastertips »

Well, by now, the riddle has 43 levels. :) Have fun!