Review #2 - DB-RageArena2

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Should DB-RageArena2 be in the second Deathball Ownage Map Pack?

Yeah!
44%
Only if the goals are fixed.
25%
Not sure...
19%
Nah.
13%

Total votes: 16

Armagon

Review #2 - DB-RageArena2

Post by Armagon »

I'm glad that I started reviewing these maps, because I have had to check out every last detail of them, and I have turned up quite a few things that need to be sorted out. The first time I checked out DB-RageArena2 by Jizo, I thought it was the best custom map I'd ever played. However recent examinations of the map have brought a few flaws to the light. Read on and you'll find out what I'm talking about.

Screenshots
http://www.geocities.com/monkeyman_011/Ra2page3.html

So what's the map like?
A lot of people would call this map DB-Cube with traps, and I would have to say that is as good an analogy as any other. You'll find as long as you are very aware of your surroundings, you won't get caught by them. But it's always fun to send your opponents flying into an open pit which closes around them a moment later, and kills them. Along the center of the map there are two spike traps that open and close, these are easy enough to avoid by jumping out, but it CAN pose a threat to a ball carrier who can't jump as high, nor as quickly as the other players. A clever team can use these traps to their advantage in multiple fashions, provided that they watch out for themselves in the process.

Now where I found a major flaw in the map, is with the goals. They are slightly wider than the normal goals, but to compensate for this they are not as tall. A lot of keepers may not like these wider goals, but the dodge distance is still sufficient to get you from one end of the goals to the other. The real flaw though, is that Monkeyman11 didn't put in the team blocking volumes that prevent the keeper from accidentally walking the ball in to their own goals. This is a really big mistake to make, because a lot of keepers depend on the blocking volumes to line themselves up against the goals, but when it is so easy to walk backwards into your goals a lot of keepers are going to hate this map. I will attempt to contact Monkeyman11, and ask whether or not he will fix this.

The map looks very nice, there is plenty to see, and massive crowds. The textures used compliment the map perfectly. The lighting works well for the map. Overall, the atmosphere is excellent.

Some people may find it a little heavy on the framerate, due to the high level of detail present in the map. Older video cards may be left gagging when they try to render it (though I'm not entirely certain of this, as I only test these maps on highest detail settings).

Pros
- Good for people who prefer cube maps.
- It looks good.
- The traps put a fun twist on gameplay.

Cons
- The goals are too wide for my liking.
- The lack of blocking volumes to prevent keepers accidentally own-goaling.
Chances are that this map will not make it into the pack unless this is fixed.

Overall
Graphics 8/10
Gameplay 5/10

A great-looking map, with gameplay which has been ruined by the bad goals.
Check it out yourself and see what I mean.

You can download DB-RageArena2 here:
http://www.geocities.com/monkeyman_011/Ra2download.html
Last edited by Armagon on 17-11-2003 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
nolly888
Banned

Post by nolly888 »

looks decent
:blabla: :blabla: :blabla:
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I've been granted permission to fix up the goals, so I'll do it when I get time.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I have finished the update of DB-RageArena2 and dubbed it DB-RageArena2Final.

Changes list:
- I have replaced the goals with the default DB goals.
- Added missing post sounds for the crossbar.
- Added goal blocking volumes so you can no longer run the ball into your own goals.
- The explosion that occurs when a goal is scored was too loud. I have quietened it down a bit.
- Added goal posts to the vicinity radar.
- I found that the music was set to over-ride the default music volume by 0.3. This makes turning it off impossible, which may annoy some people who don't like having the music on. I have fixed this.

You can grab the updated map here:
http://www.db-au.com/filez/armagon/DBOM ... 2Final.zip

Please let me know if it is satisfactory.
Last edited by Armagon on 17-11-2003 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

There is now a slightly modified version of the review, which suits to the updated version. Check it out if you're interested. :)

http://deathball.gameservers.net/reviews.php?ID=665
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

It's a good looking map that's hurt by it's own good looks (low FPS). Besides the low FPS, the only ohter drawback I saw was that you get stuck on the lights.

I wish this map had better performance, I think it would be far more popular. If you got a decent machine this is a good map to try.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Yeah I mentioned the heavy framerate in the updated review, under cons.