sprinting is teh suxxor

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

i do have to say it is really frustrating to work your a$$ off to get a ball that is in the air and then figure out you have no boost cuz you had to catch the ball.

i may get flamed for this idea but maybe you could have it so that you regain some stamina when you get the ball, not the whole bar but just enough to be usefull with all the defenders that are now sprinting your way. for those looking to make this game more realistic this would be quite realistic imo cuz i know when playing sports I do get a boost of engery when you get the ball in such games as soccer and well soccer is all i play :P

btw i am far from used to sprinting yet, and have yet to play a clan match with it (which is the real determening factor)but i do think the sprint adds a LOT depth, curve doesn't come close to game play options opened up. though it is a sad thing in america at least the most popular playing places for the better players are all non sprint so there isn't much of an option to try this out with better players
Fay3_Val3nt1n3

Post by Fay3_Val3nt1n3 »

Hi, first post =)

I think sprinting is an interesting addition because it adds more strategy and speed to the game, tho currently its quite a mess in public servers (i'm still learning)

However I think jumping is taking away a little too much stamina.. esp for midfielders who have to run back and forth in defence and attack. IRL everybody's stamina is different, which is what makes sports so unpredictable and exciting, but how to incorporate this to balance the game I don't have a clue. Maybe only decrease stamina on the first jump?

Another downside is the increased speed makes the game harder for highpingers to play too.. :(
fluffykitten

Post by fluffykitten »

I've not played a game with sprint on yet, because public servers are horrible spam ridden idiot fests and nobody has wanted it in clan games so far .. but I've toyed with it offline and I can't say I like the sprint bar descreasing with jump, because I'm always jumping for one reason or another, to get boosted, to intercept, to catch, to pass and I'd get penalised for it in sprint on games.

Also, the sound effect sucks ;)
Last edited by fluffykitten on 10-03-2003 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Beerface{Rage}

Get a life

Post by Beerface{Rage} »

Surge wrote: Sprinting sucks. period. Go play on any of the top US DB clan servers and its off because its horrible for gameplay.

Also, i try out for "bouncy the kangaroo" or whatever you said every single game i play and most people would agree i'm one of the best offensive scorers in NA.

Just because its "cool" or cause "all good sports games" have it doesn't mean it works for DB. I'm going to say this for the 4th or 5th time on these new forus already...

IF YOU WANT TO SPRINT, GO PLAY FIFA AND LEAVE US DBers ALONE FFS!

NO, even better scurge, you go and play a walking game or something!! like golf! what fast-paced sport game in the world doesn't allow u to sprint????? get a life..

PS.. i think sprint is fine, it may need some tweaking over time.. but it adds alot to the game
OhWeia

Post by OhWeia »

.oO( who made the post in the old forums stating that "get a life" posters are to be ignored :P )
fluffykitten

Re: Get a life

Post by fluffykitten »

Beerface{Rage} wrote: what fast-paced sport game in the world doesn't allow u to sprint????? get a life..
What other`fast paced sports game' has sprint which is reduced by another wholly unrelated action? I can't think of any.

Edit: Oh yea, `Get a life' comments make you look bad, mmkay?
Last edited by fluffykitten on 10-03-2003 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Beerface{Rage}

Post by Beerface{Rage} »

no, the jump bit is taking it a bit far i agree, but sprinting, i feel is/will become almost crucial, and i for one, aint going to be told (shouted) to go play fifa just cos i like the sprint feature.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

We managed fine before sprint, what makes you think we can't manage OK without it now?

"no breakaways"

*cough* Boost.
Beerface{Rage}

Post by Beerface{Rage} »

we could manage fine without it, like you say, we have until now... just adds a bit more to it.. i've seen some excellent goal-line clearances that would have not happened without sprint. - for example
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

using sprint for a week now, and what I want to change is the following:

-substract less for jumping
-no basic sprint loss (you lose a certain amount just for pressing the sprint button)
-faster regain in own penalty zone

get some stamina when you get the ball sounds interesting, worth a try...

oh, and we gotta try to make jumping possible
the current problem is, that when you jump and release the sprint button, you keep the sprint speed by doing a quadjump (like what you do when you get boosted)...

so far
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

um david what is the point of faster regain in your own pz? i was under the impression that sprinting was intended to give the O another options not to make our defenders stronger... i could be wrong but that is what i was hoping it would be

is the jumping faster a problem, i know that i am going to jump a lot farther if i run fast before i jump than if I and runing slowly, so if it isn't causing problems i say leave it, specailly with regain in your own p box making defenders stronger, or at least would seem to. or if it wouldn't lag the game to hell, make it so that you do jump farther when sprinting but you slow down some as time passes
Last edited by theberkin8or on 10-03-2003 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

think about it again... it doesn't really make defenders stronger :)

"is the jumping faster a problem"

you could sprint forever
similar to the the "dribbling" abuse bug
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

22:33] <|-NS-|night> but this scrim is why i want sprint
[22:33] <|-NS-|night> the game is boring as hell like this
[22:34] <|-NS-|night> everyone is the same speed, there is no strategy, no making runs, no trying to get open
[22:34] <|-NS-|night> no breakaways
[22:34] <|-NS-|night> getting a long ball pass and running up the field in slowmotion does not count
[22:35] <|-NS-|night> if there is space to recieve a pass, u have no way to get there and make use of it
[22:37] <|-NS-|night> this game is just not what it could be and should be

[22:38] <|-NS-|night> it will be tweaked out
[22:38] <|-NS-|night> just like everything else
[22:39] <|-NS-|night> im better scoring as an opportunist
[22:39] <|-NS-|night> cuz right now forward sux cuz u cant get space or time for yourself to do anything
[22:40] <|-NS-|night> its boring as forward
I agree. It's a brilliant tactical device, which takes power away from the twitch gamers and gives it to the thinking ones.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

on FFA people use it whenever they can....
for example when the ball is lying somewhere and its SURE that you get it....a n00b sprints to it...
completely pointless, just "walk" there and grab it
people need to learn only to use it when its necessary and to abuse it (!)
for example sprinting thru the enemy defense, receive a through-pass and score
its a great way to get away from a def
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

Originally posted by DavidM using sprint for a week now, and what I want to change is the following:

-substract less for jumping
I wouldn't object to that, but...
-no basic sprint loss (you lose a certain amount just for pressing the sprint button)
....I would to this. This is a good feature and shouldn't be removed, it makes people think before they sprint.
-faster regain in own penalty zone
I don't see what this would really do...
get some stamina when you get the ball sounds interesting, worth a try...
mhmm. I don't see the reasoning behind this, either. Allowing people who've used sprint to get into space, to then keep outrunning the chasing defender isn't such a good idea.
oh, and we gotta try to make jumping possible
the current problem is, that when you jump and release the sprint button, you keep the sprint speed by doing a quadjump (like what you do when you get boosted)...

so far

Nooo, this is good. It's a choice between getting ahead of the defender, or making sure you've caught the ball. Jumping while sprinting makes it too easy.