I don't want to play soccer...

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

mael you didn't say most, oo I haven't been playing cuz i was on aol, now i am not
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

But I think the problem with what people interpret what we say is... we don't want VO to replace reg... we want both... a serious mode and a goof around mode
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

lol, welcome to the db community, average age, mmmm bout 15, average i.q , oh about the same.

2 points,

1, db is like football about as much a sausage is similar to a boeing 747, if thats how you play football, you really must be not too good at it, im guessing you get pulled up for handball a lot.

2, flaming shit to each other about whos gayer than who makes you look about as intelligent as a fish, and a dumb fish at that, not one of those clever little gold ones!!

lets all agree that the geezer who started this thread (sorry got bored by 4 pages of drivel and forgot your name, apologies) did have some good points like dev said.
But on the whole his argument was stupid because his whole relation to football thing.
Also the fact that it seems he is just like one of those classy team players who would rather wallvolley and shoot himself than pass to a better placed teammate.
The_One

Post by The_One »

priior wrote: i think self volleys are retarded.

think of allthe time... a player could have passed and had someone else score.. but instead he tries to self volley.. is this a behaviour ud liek to encourage?

Wow, you think the only use for self volleys is for shots? rofl
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

I've seen them used a lot for passes, especially by goalies...
Weisso

Post by Weisso »

Regardless of whether or not they have been used for other things, the far more common use of self vollies was to score a goal. In this case, many times the pass is definitely available, but people choose to shoot it themselves.

Also, by saying that this game is becoming too like soccer, many of the points have been invalidated. In soccer, there are no shield guns, there is no boosting, there are no charge shots, there isn't 5v5 play. Deathball is about as far from being a soccer game as is possible

Also, these "tricks" that Mael mentioned in the first post were many times unfair things that were removed for the sake of balancing the gameplay. Removing them caused us to adjust, and we simply did that. Removing self vollies is only a small thing to remove, and could return Deathball to it's old fast paced play, back when the servers were always full, and never ran volley only games.

-Weiss
The_One

Post by The_One »

I'm all for discouraging "egoing" in DB, I just don't think this is quite the right way.
priior

Post by priior »

i am 1.8+ and i do not like vo.

i like volleying. i dont like ONLY volleying.

and i agree with what dev said.. cept for the part where he thinks it;s an even split.. i don't think it;s an even split.. i think most people liek the changes.. only those who are unhappy post about it.

np
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

self-volley's are still possible and still useful in correct situations.

But their reduced power gives the keeper a fair chance to save them against the 'ego'.

Team based volley moves haven't changed.

I fail to see why people are so against this.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

i don't like the fact that my db crashes now :-x
Weisso

Post by Weisso »

R3L!K wrote: self-volley's are still possible and still useful in correct situations.

But their reduced power gives the keeper a fair chance to save them against the 'ego'.

Team based volley moves haven't changed.

I fail to see why people are so against this.

The people against this are not only very limited in number, but are also the people who depended on this move in order to score the majority of their goals for the most part.

It also goes back to the point of people being afraid of change.

-Weiss
Last edited by Weisso on 24-08-2004 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

Saving egos is not that hard at all... especially if someone egos constantly then you know what to expect... if someone always egos, the goaltender should know to look for it next time the shooter makes a clean break... that's when a person would fake an ego and send a pass... all in the strategy! Besides... self-volleys are VERY useful for passing... how many times I can remember making it look like an ego but passing it off the backwall to another guy to just tap in... but now the pass will be too slow to do that play either... lol
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

well whatever, this topic is pretty useless. davidm won't read this stuff for atleast two weeks to let the new patch settle in. and it seems those who like the change want to keep playing the card that those who disagree with the change are dependent on it and are self-volley scorers only. a closeminded statement. and those who disagree with this can't agree to disagree.

we'll see how things run now that servers are updated. my predictions is pbox camping has a chance to become a problem again, tho i hope i'm wrong.

but who knows. maybe more people will enjoy playing keep now that you mostly need to worry about only a shot or a pass volley.

wordle
The_One

Post by The_One »

Weisso wrote: The people against this are not only very limited in number, but are also the people who depended on this move in order to score the majority of their goals for the most part.

It also goes back to the point of people being afraid of change.

-Weiss

You know me so well...or not.

Seriously though, I think a better implementation would be, if you self volley within six seconds (or some other value found to be balanced) then you have the reduced power, else you have the normal power from 2.0.
Last edited by The_One on 24-08-2004 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Six seconds is a lot of time ;) might as well pass it around then ;p (then again..that could be the point :) but...that wouldn't change anything then :o)

Anyway, I love the way this thread is getting entirely off-topic and turning into a personal flame war.

Close it please :)
Better yet, remove it :o