World Cup 2006

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Which team is more likely to reach the final?

Korea Republic
2%
Argentina
7%
England
17%
Croatia
No votes
USA
No votes
Italy
5%
Cote d'Ivoire
2%
Ukraine
No votes
Paraguay
No votes
Germany
16%
Portugal
5%
Spain
No votes
Czech Republic
2%
Brazil
22%
Netherlands
12%
Japan
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Sweden
3%
France
No votes
Other (please precise which team in a post)
7%

Total votes: 58

Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

true, FIFA should do something serious about it, if players got properly punished, it would stop.

they are already supposed to be, but the refs dont do a good job in that disciplinary aspect. a player that simulates being fouled or pressures the ref to reach for the yellow card, should get one for unsporting behaviour, refs have instructions to do so, but if they dont (probably because they dont have the guts enough to do it), the organization of the championship should do it for them, simple.
bloodeh

Post by bloodeh »

fifa should give yellow or red cards for diving after watching the match in tv, like they do after unsportsmanlike things like a punch - the referee cant see it everytime and in some situations a player can fall down without diving (and its understandable referee fear to give a yellow card in a situation like that). in tv you could watch it exactly...
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

The things is, the more things you start to book players for the more ridiculous the game becomes, sure the ref's don't always make the right choice but it's their call, and in most cases there is no point in whinging. Natural reaction is to dive in some cases and maybe try to get something out of it, EVERY team has done it at some point (some more so then others) but just imagine if a ref was to be showing yellow cards everytime someone fell to the ground. Firstly the players should just be man enough to get up and play on unless they are DYING , and secondly if the ref says play on after diving ... it's not really an unfair advantage to either team ..... so just play on o/

All the cards and bookings etc start to break up a games :/

:)
The_One

Post by The_One »

Which is why I suggested to award the cards AFTER the game. You wouldn't have that problem then (you would have the problem of a player that would subsequently be awarded a red for diving scoring the winning goal etc. but hey).

Also, if anyone goes down injured they should be forced to stay off the field for 5 minutes. Surely if they are really hurt this is a good thing? Gives time for the physios to use that magic spray that they love so much (or worse still, poor water on them. As if it does anything). No-one would stay down unless they had too then. Obviously substitutes would be allowed to come on immediately.
Last edited by The_One on 07-07-2006 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

It would be good to do it after the game but you wouldn't be bale to get around the double booking > red situation. That would have to be changed as well for it to work. One thing I really think they do need is another assistant ref who is wacthing it on screen, seeing the replays we all see .... would make sense no ?
The_One

Post by The_One »

FIFA have already ruled that out. They say it will ruin the flow of the game.
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

Yeah good point I guess, I mean there needs to be some improvments in some areas but as soon as you have one idea.... something else gets in the way :)

Less drama queen moments and bookings, more football I say ! o/
The_One

Post by The_One »

You could argue that rolling around on the floor and hounding the referee has a greater affect on the flow of the game than video refs would.
Shady

Post by Shady »

You have to admire Germany for aspiring to be Portugal their diving all over the place.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

fun game, i think. the pace was that of a friendly, but still, the teams tried to put on a good show, and the germans got a lil compensation for their fans :)

great goals to, although Ricardo should have done better in the first one, imo. but he doesnt know better \o/ and Petit is stupid. \o/

EDIT: yeh, shady, germans dived a lil bit, as much as its normal in any game, imo. the funny thing was to see how many replays they gave of the Ronaldo's dives, erm, what's the point? ok, the first one is ridiculous, but the second one is not even a dive, he had to fall there, its was a strong contact, of course waving his arms around was not necessary lol

but what's the point? everyone knows he dives a lot.

EDIT 2: This marked the final goodbye to Portugal's golden generation, now needs more Quaresma, Raul Meireles, João Moutinho, Hugo Almeida, Nelson, etcetera in the team. great young players, imo. :D

curious to see what we will do in the 2008 campaign.
Last edited by Cenotaph on 08-07-2006 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
The_One

Post by The_One »

I'm amazed there were so many England supporters at the thrid place play-off. As we all know, only they would boo Ronaldo.

Portugal really need to find a striker before they can mount a stronger challenge.

I'm waiting for FIFA to award Germany's second to Schweinsteiger just so they can have a hat-trick.
Last edited by The_One on 08-07-2006 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

dispensable sarcasm. The germans boo'ed the whole portuguese team in the beginning as its usual from a team that plays at home, Ronaldo was really only whistled at after the first ridiculous dive, nothing strange here, its the home crowd rising their voice against an adversary that had a bad attitude, quite different from the situation in the game against France, when he was under heat right from the beginning.
The_One

Post by The_One »

So what up and coming strikers fo you have Ceno?
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

well, strikers have always been our problem, i think that Hugo Almeida has the potential to become a great striker, although i feel his development is getting harmed for the few chances he had in Porto, and he's spending too much time on loan with managers that dont get out the best from him (and will again this year). he combines great with Quaresma thou, so that could be good for us, provided Almeida gets a chance in the team, probably still wont happen in 2008, but i hope so.

in the meantime, i think we will rely much on Postiga, Gomes and Pauleta are too old already, but Postiga sucks :/

another alternative is to get Liedson the portuguese nationality, he owns and, boy, if u think we dive, wait until you see him lol. but we already got Deco, no need to have more brazilians on the team \o/

So, we're still pretty much screwed with the striker situation, it has been our weakest point for many years now, if only we could get another Eusebio... but i have faith in the new wave of midfielders and wingers, those are great players.
Last edited by Cenotaph on 08-07-2006 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
The_One

Post by The_One »

It seems if you could only find one top class goal scorer you'd have a really good chance every tournament. Portugal's midfield have always been class and I wouldn't expect that to change.