Euro 2004 - Guess Work...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"you" being england?
well england didn't deserve win for sure. they had......2 chances in the whole match....one freekick, one penalty

france were near their pbox for 80 minutes or so. result was lucky for france how it happened, but deserved
The_One

Post by The_One »

You don't need to ask that question you. You know the answer.

France had 3 chances the whole match and we were only playing too deep for 20 minutes in the second half.

Both teams defended very well but as i said, our midfield cost us the match.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

agreed. lampard and gerrard were playing too deep in the 2nd half.

although i didnt mind Hargreaves coming on (better than Birmingham's finest anyway), I'd have thought Butt would have been a better choice.

but you gotta say congrats to france for not losing their bottle. *cough* Beckham
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

Im wondering why RaGe keeps editing his posts, maybe cos his backtothefuture book is wrong ;o
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

:D
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

OMG there was actually a euro soccer article in my newspaper. GG ZZ.
BurntLeaf
Banned

Post by BurntLeaf »

wp SWE :o
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

i think Denmark and Italy will own Sweden tbh, they were very lucky. Bulgaria played better most of the time... its all about counter-attack for Sweden ^^
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

pfff , sweden makes it with teh pwnage!
Onge

Post by Onge »

The_One wrote: Apart from the penalty what did he do wrong?

He was getting no help from his teammates at all.
Apart from all of Ronaldo's crosses being too deep y'mean?

Anyway, I thought England were poor...Sure they defended well, but had no attacking flair at all. We could have killed the French off but decided instead to defend a 1-0 lead. That is negative mentality and we all saw why...
The_One

Post by The_One »

From the positions he was in it was not physically possible to cross them any less deep.

You'd think after the first or second one his teammates would get a clue. (8
Onge

Post by Onge »

Dude, it is not the responsibility of the attackers to be in the right place when a cross comes in, it's up to the winger to ensure his cross is aimed at someone!! I love it when commentators go 'great cross, oh just too far' when in reality it was an overhit cross to no-one!
The_One

Post by The_One »

Actually it is a responsbility of the attackers to not stand on the near post, with two defenders between them and the ball and the only possible way to try and get it to them is to float it over.

Had Ronaldo tried this the keeper would have caught it every time. It wouldn't of taken much for one of them to drift to the far post as he was delivering the cross.

This is rather academic as the match finished four days ago. Hopefully they'll play Ronaldo in the next match (I think they played slightly better when he came on) but not out of position this time.

No player pllayed brilliantly for Portugal in that match. Deco has been on fire recently and he was almost completely anonymous when he came on.
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

Sweden owned though :p might've been a bit lucky at times but who cares xD

(No, I'm not saying we'll win the cup :p)
Onge

Post by Onge »

Or Ronaldo could have passed to someone in midfield rather than cross to the back post where time-after-time no-one was...Perhaps this new lighter ball had something to do with it!

But so far a lot of big players haven't performed. I wasn't impressed with Vieri, Beckham, Owen, Henry, Raul, Zidane (before the free-kick). I'm sure they'll shine before too long but these are meant to be some of the best players in the world. Wonder if someone will perform well tonight (Ballack anyone?).