I don't want to play soccer...

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

The_One

Post by The_One »

I like to be creative on the field and I'd prefer it if the current artificial restriction wasn't imposed on me.

At least the 6 (or whatever) second limit would allow for some kind of variation while still restricting self volley goals. It even makes some kind of sense, maybe the gun takes that long to fully charge up for a volley. :D
Messy

Post by Messy »

While if a teammate catches and shoots the ball back within that 6 second time limit, the gun suddenly gets excited and charges up way faster :o
The_One

Post by The_One »

For sure. Kinda the same logic where volleying enemy balls is slower than volleying friendly ..eerrgg... balls. ;)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

actually i like the 6 second idea. I think 4 seconds would be balanced enough though.

It's a good alternative. It still stops the egoists and retains the old power settings.

Although you'd have to be given a lot of space and time to express those creative urges. Not sure if you'd have that with more than 8 players on the map. Maybe with 6 though.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Well if the idea was adopted the value would be found during testing I guess.

p.s. And by creative I don't mean trying to beat 2 men on your own, just in case someone thinks that, I mean setting other people up. ^^
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Mael carries the team
Messy

Post by Messy »

I like the idea too, but there will never be a delay that's good for it :)

Creative urges should still be expressed, just only in smaller maps, and not to finish a shot off :p just aim higher and wait longer ;) And have more chance of getting it intercepted :rolleyes:

You know what...just pass ;p
(I get what you mean though The_One, and it sounds ok :) but you'll never get a suitable delay)
The_One

Post by The_One »

This change is supposed to restrict "egoing", why does it have to restrict anything else? It currently stops much more than that so I am not happy with it.

Why do you think this value would be hard to find messy? It would just be the the lowest value you could get away with while still penalising "egoing". Trial and error would find that out in about an hours testing.
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

Unfortunately I think Messy's right... no delay would suit... Situations where a person would play it off a sidewall and quickly volley it off the wall for a crossing style pass would get screwed as well... there's just no way of solving this dilemma without taking that provision out completely...
Messy

Post by Messy »

The_One wrote: It would just be the the lowest value you could get away with while still penalising "egoing". Trial and error would find that out in about an hours testing.

That's just it :) I don't think it's easy to find one value that will stop egoing consistently, while also not restricting people too much...consistently :o

I suppose it's definitely worth trying though ;)
I like it this way :)
And I guess I'll like it about as much, possible more, possibly less depending on how close the value comes to doing what it should (..consistently :p)

edit: that said, I haven't played with this build much, I have to admit..I can imagine it'll be harder to do some of the stuff that wasn't intended to score with, but just be pretty (especially volley assisting and passing), stuff I liked (a lot) too :(

Anyway, if it's really that bad, both the delay should be added and tested, and the volley speed should be adjust imo (but the last time it was changed it wasn't slow enough tbh :) you hardly noticed with small distances)
Last edited by Messy on 24-08-2004 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

But check this parallel:

Reg mode- 2 on 1 develops, person currently with ball shoots

VO mode- 2 on 1 develops, person currently with ball fires of backwall and volleys toward the net

What's the difference? By the "egoing" definition, any person that shoots the ball instead of passing is doing an "ego" so by that token the ball carrier in the Reg scenario is in fact "egoing" but in a different way. Can someone explain this difference to me?
The_One

Post by The_One »

Of course it should return to the 2.0 way when vo mode is selected. The "only team volley goals" setting is there for a reason. ;)
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Not a single intelligent post in support of the self volley rule.

The rule does nothing to balance or stop individual play in REG deathball.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Quit spamming useless rubbish Twig. :/
Messy

Post by Messy »

Holy shit people are posting too fast now :)

While I was editing my post /o\

edit: The_One: don't mind Twig :) I've been ignoring him for a long time now ;p
His points are just too abstract :| Dunno if it's ignorance or anything else.

Nothing personal Twig ;p just don't agree with anything you seem to think :|
Oh well, maybe it makes sense to you :)