2.4i

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

XiD

Post by XiD »

DavidM wrote:
Call me arrogant, but I learned to live with it and ignore certain things. Listening to the crying mob is in fact what ruins politics AND games.

Since I started with DB I more and more realised how similar this stuff is to politics; just way less complex for sure.
No matter what you do, the mob cries. If there were elections, the leader would change A B A B all the time, like in Politics. You have to explain why this and this is good, or why it's stupid now but it will be good in x months. But as in RL people only look at the status quo...which results in always hating the current goverment.

oh my god, davidm gets it. a great insight to ophood in #db24 and #dbmixer!

you people don't realize that every version change, every minor or major tweak in mechanics, the same group of people are always crying about it. you get the "boy cries wolf" effect: you fight battles over the stupidest shit, so when you want to fight over something you are really passionate/care about, he turns a blind eye because to him it's just crying like you always do.

same thing happens with ops in #db24/mixer when repeated offenders get banned for things they deserve (yet still throw a fit about it), and then try to complain about something that they potentially didn't deserve.
Last edited by XiD on 07-09-2006 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

Hi XiD \o/
Last edited by `Ghost` on 07-09-2006 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
XiD

Post by XiD »

hi2u ghost ^^
The_One

Post by The_One »

DavidM wrote: Then let's talk about it again once you have a clue what actually goes into game design.
You have little experiance in game design DavidM. All your changes are incremental and obvious (with any values chosen seemingly arbitrary). You don't come across as someone who sits down and works out all the minutia. This isn't a problem for a modification (in fact it's probably a benefit), where things can slowly evolve over a long period of time, with massive public testing and feedback, so it's all good from my perspective.

This is a mod, people. He doesn't have to answer to anyone. Hopefully he's just doing it for the love of the concept and mod making process. If he wasn't, he would have left long ago. I'm very greatful he hasn't as it wouldn't be DB without him. Just as well he has a thick skin. If you want to play VO, play VO. He can't stop you.
Last edited by The_One on 07-09-2006 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

The_One...you don't know at all how I work :o
Sometimes it's just days full of writing 10 pages etc. nvm it doesn't matter to you guys. You are just there to play the game or to not play it.

And I'm just here to make the game that I love and if someone has a complaint, I'll explain why I do it this way and not the other. Or if someone has good feedback it'll be considered and I'll check if it helps make the game better in my opionion. :o
The_One

Post by The_One »

DavidM wrote: The_One...you don't know at all how I work :o
Sometimes it's just days full of writing 10 pages etc.

You may write a lot but how much of it bares fruit? You'd be completely in the dark without quidance from the community. I'll admit my only exposure to the game making process was through Climax and the MotoGP series of games, and I wasn't in a position to make any decisions, but making a mod and being a full fledged game designer are worlds apart.

Since you want feeback, how about undoing fixes to your previous decisions that are no longer valid. For instance (I don't believe you've done this yet), you reduced self-volley power due to the fact that keepers couldn't hit the ball away when attackers used the back wall to set themselves up. Not withstanding the fact that the change hurt quick passing, with the removal (for all intents and purposes) of volley latency keepers can easily stop such tactics. Do you forsee any problems with reverting to the previous state?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

That might as well be removed again, yeah. It was part of a generally very fucked up 2.3 design.
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

DavidM wrote: Listening to the crying mob is in fact what ruins politics AND games.

Listening to people, yeah that won't get you anywhere.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

This was a cheap attempt to take my quote out of context to make me look dumb.
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

on topic \o/ how is the next update coming along? :)
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

I don't see how I took it out of context.
E-VecTz

Post by E-VecTz »

Morning*Star wrote: I don't see how I took it out of context.
@Morning*Star :lol: (though DavidM is right)

@DavidM, why remove vo when there will be a vo mutator the very same day?

if the admins of the servers want vo theyll get vo whether u like it or not

I'm just anoyed by the fact i cant just turn it on and need to use a vo mutator

ur removing a dimension of db...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I said I dont listen to the crying mob (the pathetic part) and you said that I claim its not good listening to people at all.

Ghost, not much happening, since Goldy lacks time. But he fixed the physic routines for the ball and I applied about 10 values to make it feel real :o
2.4j(unk) will show...but it's a LOT better than 2.4i....at least 2.4k should be perfect then (2.4j being close so I just need to apply very minor changes)

Except for the physics there is nothing done worth mentioning...except that Priior is making these new sounds, as I said earlier.
So you will have a carry sound...new ball sounds (you now actually hear the force field on the ground...not metal) new join sounds, new bounce sounds etc...
The_One

Post by The_One »

How about making the defence and attackers have the same size volley radius? It is still smaller for defenders right?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

no sir... LOL
this was fixed in 1.5 or so ;)