What are you listening to now?

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Messy

Post by Messy »

I just bought Mars Volta's Frances the Mute :) so yeah, listening to that :p

Also bought Tool's Opiate :D will probs to listen to that after..
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

Metallica - One (Extended)

finally realised what my favourite music is... just cool relaxing thrash solos...

After = In flames - dialogue with the stars
after = Metallica - To live is to die

Messy.... I take back what i've always said about metallica... (ok, so I hear stuff like I dissapear, st anger and Frantic and i made my judgements).. i heard some awesome thrash songs...with some hawt solos...

but i still say korn > metallica :D

kinda suppose... there's the old metallica, and the new metallicrap, cuz frantic scared me a bit >:
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

St anger and frantic etc suck!
My metallica-respect-o-meter got from here _ to

down here _

Anyways, listening to the new Coldplay album, pretty crappy stuff..

/me puts The Mars Volta - Amputechture back on O_O <3 <3 <3
Mighty Midget

Post by Mighty Midget »

Been listening to different old black metal bands, out of curiosity. It was, how should I put this... godawful to say the least and stupid as f*** in the beginning. But now that I stopped laughing at them, I actually find a few tracks vaguely interesting. Hmmm. Me stabbing churches and burning goats? Nah.
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

Mighty Midget wrote: Been listening to different old black metal bands, out of curiosity. It was, how should I put this... godawful to say the least and stupid as f*** in the beginning. But now that I stopped laughing at them, I actually find a few tracks vaguely interesting. Hmmm. Me stabbing churches and burning goats? Nah.

Black metal tracks with suttle vocals i find really good, and not all black metal bands are anti-christians xD.. ok so you get the cradle of filth, mephistopheles, mandrake, enthroned, neckshot, obsidion gate, sanguis....etc who are like that, but you get some decent shit with bands like Dark age and nayled.

Depends what your overall preference is, say if you like thrash metal (slayer, in flames, darkt etc) or even maybe metalcore, i think black metal is good for you, if youre into classic metal or 3rd wave punk/nu/shit metal, then 'Deathstars' is about as black metal as you will like.

Once you like black metal, i bet it wont take you long to start liking death metal or even grindcore as a preference over black.

EDIT: Mandrake - Shine \o/
Mighty Midget

Post by Mighty Midget »

fb.shev wrote: Black metal tracks with suttle vocals i find really good, and not all black metal bands are anti-christians xD.. ok so you get the cradle of filth, mephistopheles, mandrake, enthroned, neckshot, obsidion gate, sanguis....etc who are like that, but you get some decent shit with bands like Dark age and nayled.

Depends what your overall preference is, say if you like thrash metal (slayer, in flames, darkt etc) or even maybe metalcore, i think black metal is good for you, if youre into classic metal or 3rd wave punk/nu/shit metal, then 'Deathstars' is about as black metal as you will like.

Once you like black metal, i bet it wont take you long to start liking death metal or even grindcore as a preference over black.
EDIT: Mandrake - Shine \o/

I don't know any of those bands. I looked up bands like Burzum, Gorgoroth and Mayhem. Even looked up some Viking Metal (what the...?). Went for some (what would you call it?) Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse and suchlike.

Preferences? I was born and raised on KISS, Iron Maiden, rock'n'roll (AC/DC, Motorhead), punk (early british and US), blues, ancient heavy (Sabbath, DP, LZ) 50's (Buddy Holly, Little Richards a.s.o) and 60's trashy garage. I'm still too much for that :D Except for KISS, DP and Zep. LOL

But I like to hear new music, just to nail the fact that music evolves. I probably will never wear 7 foot spikes or make-up though :D
Last edited by Mighty Midget on 05-08-2006 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

Mighty Midget wrote: I don't know any of those bands. I looked up bands like Burzum, Gorgoroth and Mayhem. Even looked up some Viking Metal (what the...?). Went for some (what would you call it?) Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse and suchlike.

Preferences? I was born and raised on KISS, Iron Maiden, rock'n'roll (AC/DC, Motorhead), punk (early british and US), blues, ancient heavy (Sabbath, DP, LZ) 50's (Buddy Holly, Little Richards a.s.o) and 60's trashy garage. I'm still too much for that :D Except for KISS, DP and Zep. LOL

But I like to hear new music, just to nail the fact that music evolves. I probably will never wear 7 foot spikes or make-up though :D

CC etc is more death, you'd prefer it over black i.m.o

and yeah, from kiss and guns'n'roses to liking such cannibal corpse and n.death is a huge step from relaxation-hayhem xD

Whereas I started from s.o.a.d - 36 crazyfists - inflames - dark tranquility - zao - cradle of filth - mephistopheles - cannibal corpse, each one a different genre but have so many of the same inlfuences
Mighty Midget

Post by Mighty Midget »

What's with all this fascination about death? What's wrong with cuddlyness? Cuddly Metal! YEAH! Now, THAT is SCARY! LOL! (Blarrrgh!)

Latest:
The Ramones - Substitute, Spiderman, I don't wanna grow up.
Anti-Nowhere League - So What?, Streets of London
Motorhead - Sacrifice (Damn, that drummer smashes them drums to pieces)
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

Cuddly metal? hmmm...

I find mindless self indulgance cuddly :D

Metallica - One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PX73OCDBSQ&NR
The_One

Post by The_One »

Someone recommend me some good soul music. I've tried Marvin Gaye, thinking about Aretha Franklin. Anyone have any ideas?

At the moment I'm going for a nostalgia trip with mid-90s dance music and I want to get off it. The Shamen, Snap, Felix, N-Trance etc. etc. All the cheese.
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

Aretha Franklin is worth a listen, also ...

Sam Cooke - the voice of the song "You Send Me" currently on the royal mail advert and "Wonderful World"

Ray Charles - not just soul but still good

Bill Withers - again not *just* soul, with the song "Ain't No Sunshine" <3

James Brown - "Soul Man" :)

Roberta Flack - probably most known for "Killing Me Softly"

Isaac Hayes - the voice of chief on south park and the main who sings "Shaft" ^^

The Isley Brothers - with songs such as "Summer Breeze" and "Who's That Lady"

Curtis Mayfield - known for the album "Superfly" and songs like "Move On Up"

That should keep you busy for a while I think :)
The_One

Post by The_One »

Thank you. Should last a while yes. :D

Any standout albums come to mind? I'd rather not go down the greatest hits route.
Isil

Post by Isil »

The Gun Club - Sex Beat
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

Well with alot of them the greatest hits cd's are a good place to start and have their defining singles on, erm but to name a few ...

Just As I Am/Still Bill (Bill Withers)

In the Jungle Groove (Jame Brown)

Killing Me Softly (Roberta Flack) <-- or some work she has done with Donny Hathaway

Hot Buttered Soul or maybe Black Moses (Isacc Hayes)

and it's gotta be Superfly for Curtis Mayfield
The_One

Post by The_One »

Thanks again. I'll be sure to check those out. I often think greatest hits albums don't really offer a cohesive feel.