Go Portugal Kick English Ass!!!

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

All I'm saying I think the referee was wrong. Lots of unbiased people think the referee was wrong.

All you are saying is the referee was right and lots of unbiased people think the ref was right.

Can we stop going in circles now plz?

PS: lol at YOUR interpetation of the ref's reaction in the video. I think you are completely wrong.

His reaction seemed pretty normal. Semi-congratulatory and semi-pitiful ie balanced.

I think your clutching at straws there. ;)

Remember he was looking at Vassell too, so wouldn't exactly want to be laughing at him
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

semi-congratulatory, yeh right :P

EDIT:
R3L!K wrote:
All you are saying is the referee was right and lots of unbiased people think the ref was right.

i didnt say that, i said some unbiased ppl say its wrong some thats is right, its a matter of opinion, the ref can have is own opinion, and he is not biased, just because ur opinion is different than his.
Last edited by Cenotaph on 25-06-2004 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

lol.... i guess the world must look pretty different from that hole you're stuck in...

why do you keep digging deeper?
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

tbh, its kinda the opposite...

I've been in the same situation that the english are now (4 years ago in Euro 2000), we bitched like fuck, the newspaper said the same thing, but it doesnt change the fact that the penalty decision in that Portugal-France was a good one.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Cenotaph wrote: you CANNOT state as a fact that the referee was wrong, ive seen unbiased ppl (neither English nor Portuguese) some saying it was fault some saying it wasnt, so thats just ur opinion, not a fact!
that's just your opinion, not a fact.

the referee was WRONG.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

I like cheese
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

I dont like cheese
Onge

Post by Onge »

Actually I thought the penalty France got vs Portugal in Euro 2000 was very harsh. But that's maybe because I hate the French team so much. :p

Anyway enough already. Lock this thread and let's all move on...
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

Sometimes I like cheese, but only when it raines.
speedy

Post by speedy »

100th thread post :p
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

No, mine is..
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

Sixty's is, speedy got the 100th reply \o/

and cheese sux
[GR]Kermit

Post by [GR]Kermit »

summerbreak sucks
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

From the Daily Mirror - http://www.mirror.co.uk

Quote:
CONTROVERSIAL ref Urs Meier last night said he was right to rule out Sol Campbell's last-minute goal against Portugal and accused Sven Goran Eriksson of making him a scapegoat.

The Swiss whistler's blunder cost England a place in the semi-final of Euro 2004 and also wrecked his own hopes of taking charge of the final.

But Meier was defiant last night, insisting that England centre-half John Terry had fouled Portuguese keeper Ricardo.

"It was a clear foul. The keeper was in his own goal area and must be protected," he said. "If the same thing happened again then I would do exactly the same. England are looking for a scapegoat and they are looking to blame me.

"But England should remember that we are at Euro 2004 and not playing in the English Premier League. What is allowed there is not allowed here. There are different rules here and I applied them."

UEFA chiefs have decided not to give Meier the honour of taking charge of next Sunday's Euro 2004 final showpiece because of his controversial decision to disallow Campbell's 89th-minute header that would have put England in the semi-final.

England coach Eriksson revealed he had made his frustration clear to Meier shortly after the final whistle in Lisbon. He said: "I went into the dressing-room of the referee after the game to say what I had to say but I think it should stay between him and me.

"Sitting on the bench I thought it was a goal and looking at it again on television I still thought it was a goal. But when the referee says it's not a goal it's not a goal and you can't do anything about it."

While Meier stood by his decision, UEFA's refereeing committee privately admitted he got it wrong and he is almost certain to miss out on the final as a result, despite being one of UEFA's most respected officials.

Italian referee Pierluigi Collina, the people's favourite, also seems unlikely to come into the reckoning after being overlooked for a quarter-final tie.

Collina and Germany's Markus Merk will referee the semi-finals which effectively rules them out of the final. No referee has ever taken charge of a semi-final and final at a major tournament.

The four quarter-final referees are Meier, Anders Frisk (Sweden), Valentin Ivanov (Russia) and Lubos Michel (Slovakia).Traditionally UEFA select the ref for the final from those on duty at the quarter-finals.

Frisk took charge of the Euro 2000 final so that rules him out this year while UEFA are unlikely to reward Meier for his dramatic blunder.

Ivanov was the referee when Manchester United played FC Porto in the Champions League knock-out stage when a perfectly good goal by Paul Scholes was disallowed. The linesman concerned was dropped from the Euro 2004 list.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

R3L!K wrote: "It was a clear foul. The keeper was in his own goal area and must be protected," he said. "If the same thing happened again then I would do exactly the same. England are looking for a scapegoat and they are looking to blame me.

"But England should remember that we are at Euro 2004 and not playing in the English Premier League. What is allowed there is not allowed here. There are different rules here and I applied them."

exactly what i said the rules are, the keeper must be protected in his own goal area, if this dont apply in English Premier League, he shouldnt make his decision based on what the referees do in England, but like they in Europe in general.

At least, it serves to prove i did not make this rule, it actually exists. :)

Also, is there some official word to prove the UEFA commitee said the ref was wrong? coz i heard the exact opposite :o
Last edited by Cenotaph on 26-06-2004 22:37, edited 1 time in total.