Purpose of the 1 sec hammer delay?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Twigstir

Purpose of the 1 sec hammer delay?

Post by Twigstir »

"-Added hammer delay after shooting (after shot it takes 1 second until you can use the hammer)"

What is the reason or reasons for this?

It takes quite a bit away from the game.
1.) wall volley shot
2.) wall volley missed shot (on purpose) set
3.) wall volley cross set
4.) The give back - The powerup cross gets hammered back to the orginial ball carrier for a volley shot
5.) In REG - the missed shot (on purpose) self set
6.) In VO - the ballcarrier is no longer a scoring threat for the most part.

A lot of things to fake out the defence and keeper are no longer possible or are now ineffective. This effects VO to a much greater degree than REG. Wondering the reasoning behind it.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

at first: its recudec to 0.25s

its so, when you are stuck to an attacker, he passes the ball and immediately kicks you away, no fair
so the defender can use the 0.25s to kick that guy first
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Thanks for the info. The beta4 hammer delay sure was long. The lower that delay and still accomplish what you want, the better.

BTW - you ever going to give shaken alt-fire passes a try (locked passes included)?
Last edited by Twigstir on 01-06-2004 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
n00bs_own_Madogg

Post by n00bs_own_Madogg »

Lets hope not? Theres two sides to look at it from, the defensive side, or the attacking side... hmmm, which would it benefit most? :/ I myself think its fine as it is, an attacker hits a defender meaning he must rmb pass rather than lmb pass..... i do have a point, Its just too early in the morning to come up with the right words :(
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

My take on on shaken passes: You just got hammered. It makes sense that releasing the ball should be effected no matter how you release it. Getting hammered causes you to be out of control. Over time you regain control. What would be cool if the effect was also effected by time.

0.0-0.4 Wild
0.41-0.7 Moderate
0.71-0.9 slight

The longer after the hit - the more controled the pass or powerup. I think that would give the "hit" a more realistic feeling and be a nice addition to gameplay.

Being able to perform a perfect pass after being hit is too lame. As an attacker, I currently could care less about being hit if I plan on passing. It would be more of a challenge with shake on passes. As a defender , shake on passes means hitting the ball carrier always has an effect. No more sometimes meaningless interaction between attacter and defender.

I just like to see how it would effect gameplay via a beta try.
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

oooeh sexy! :o
I love that, and I hate it when someone boosts me away ^__^
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"Theres two sides to look at it from, the defensive side, or the attacking side... hmmm, which would it benefit most?"

i am just making sure that there is nothing unfair for one side
and if it cannot be avoided, its gotta be unfair for the attack. because that would create "holes" that will get abused (like volleying before 1.4, or broomstick etc)

altfire shake wont be added yet, we have important things to do (what i say on each thread)
Messy

Post by Messy »

DavidM wrote: at first: its recudec to 0.25s

its so, when you are stuck to an attacker, he passes the ball and immediately kicks you away, no fair

Thank youu ;p
I hate that =\ finally :o

It's fairerer for defense imo.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

ya now it is...
Xelent

Re: Purpose of the 1 sec hammer delay?

Post by Xelent »

Twigstir wrote: "-Added hammer delay after shooting (after shot it takes 1 second until you can use the hammer)"

What is the reason or reasons for this?

It takes quite a bit away from the game.
1.) wall volley shot
2.) wall volley missed shot (on purpose) set
3.) wall volley cross set
4.) The give back - The powerup cross gets hammered back to the orginial ball carrier for a volley shot
5.) In REG - the missed shot (on purpose) self set
6.) In VO - the ballcarrier is no longer a scoring threat for the most part.

A lot of things to fake out the defence and keeper are no longer possible or are now ineffective. This effects VO to a much greater degree than REG. Wondering the reasoning behind it.

1. vo
2. vo
3. vo
4. vo and luck
5. reg (I dont know too many people that intentionally miss shots when they are in a serious game, and the ones that do suck)
6. vo

If you use wall volley sets to the point where these changes are going to hurt your -regular db- game, youre either high or retarded. I hope at this point, they are figuring to fix the game so that reg is even instead of vo...
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Thoughts to ponder:

1.) The only real difference between REG and VO is that REG has more ways to score. VO simply removes opportunities to take a shot and the curve shot. Anything that Benefits VO, also Benefits REG. However, it doesn't always work in reverse.

2.) Every time you see someone score off a rebound, including their own, - think, that could have done on purpose.

3.) Everything else being equal - the less predictable attacker scores more goals.
Last edited by Twigstir on 02-06-2004 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Onge

Post by Onge »

DavidM wrote: at first: its recudec to 0.25s

Good. That really annoys me.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Twig, there's often way less chances, hence not the tendency to do weird stuff and with that risk losing the ball to defense.

Not only are maps usually smaller, but D is usually hardly ever there, let alone all too skilled in most cases (remember, VO stays a pub game, where people are not only less used to eachother, but also sometimes less skilled, less motivated, and less wanting to play D)

Hence players might feel more for just actually shooting (which scores a lot more goals than most people would think, so it seems) instead of setting a volley up for themselves, or intentionally missing.

Besides that, I truly love joking around, volleying back and forth, bouncing, doing 360s etc and *then* scoring.

But this is just not something you do in a 'real match', as the risk of losing the ball is just so much bigger than the confusion and beauty it adds to the goal.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

REG deathball is played in pubs.
Possession in REG deathball is important.
Shooting is easier and more likely to result in goals.
Every shot is a risks of losing the ball and is often the result.

Unless your scoring percent is real high and change of possession real low - your missing the boat if you don't try to pull off the unexpected upon occasion. Their chance of working may be lower than other options, but not impossible. The occasional unexpected also can improve the odds of your normal options.

I don't much care about league play. I do care about how things effect public play - REG and VO - and how they impact the enjoyment of the game. The 1 sec hammer delay hurt both REG and VO public deathball by limiting scoring options. It made the game more boring.

People seem to forget where league players come from and that this mod isn't played solely by league players.
InSaNe`

Re: Re: Purpose of the 1 sec hammer delay?

Post by InSaNe` »

Xelent wrote: 1. vo
2. vo
3. vo
4. vo and luck
5. reg (I dont know too many people that intentionally miss shots when they are in a serious game, and the ones that do suck)
6. vo

If you use wall volley sets to the point where these changes are going to hurt your -regular db- game, youre either high or retarded. I hope at this point, they are figuring to fix the game so that reg is even instead of vo...

^^

There are WAY more differences between VO and Reg than that twiggy :) Reg requires MUCH more teamwork than VO. In VO you can just hog your way through a goal.

Difference would be that VO requires a smaller amount of skill (way smaller) to score. That can help the n00bs' egos and such but they're not learning the real game..