How to learn?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

][jim][

How to learn?

Post by ][jim][ »

This is my favorite game right now by a country mile. Im still not good (or even average) but it's enormous fun.

I want to get better. Im still doing the Training Court all the time (just me in it - practicing volleys and intercepts) but I find, while I can almost always either catch the ball or score on training, I'm still rubbish at the live game (Ive scored twice from volleys :noob:).

Any chance of some training?

ps - is it just me or is playing bots a waste of time?
Onge

Post by Onge »

Bots are reasonably good for training (they use to be appalling) but yes, the best practice is online.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

Theres plenty of noobs playing online. Everyone has to learn somehow. Just go online and play, eventually youll learn how to do everything... and if people give you crap about being a noob, either ignore them or tell them to piss off.
][jim][

Post by ][jim][ »

Yea, if I get crap about being new, I just ignore it and play on. But the general standard is, well, much better than me.

Ill take that advice though - I'll keep plugging away. My next volley goal is my hat trick \o/
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

well I suck at volleys and have been playing for ages.

now i'm not exactly the best player out there, but there are plenty of other aspects of your game that can be improved...

particularly positioning. which is vital for good sweeping... and it's easily practiced on pubs and genrally quite welcome too
Messy

Post by Messy »

join #deathball and #dbcommunity on irc.quakenet.org to get in touch with others.

Then feel free to contact me (usually Messy, always on said channels), regardless of you being european or NA, we can just do some training, and I can answer questions etc.

Most important thing is to remember to have fun though :) you'll get better eventually anyway, regardless of how you try to improve :D
Last edited by Messy on 29-06-2004 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

And if messy aint therer just ask any other ops :)
\o/
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

[url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/dbcommunity]#dbcommunity[/url]
GazMaN

Re: How to learn?

Post by GazMaN »

][jim][ wrote: (Ive scored twice from volleys :noob:).

trust me, worrying about learning to volley is the last thing you need, learn about positioning, boosting teammates/enemys into advantageous positions, shooting well (charging shots, not volleys) reading the game, ie where the best place to run, to recieve ball and so on. Youll pick up vollying as you play more, but youll be a lot more involved in the game i you can do the basics well.

Only yesterday i took 2 of my clan mates from my other online games into a priv server to learn em basics, and all they wanted to do was volley, why does everyone wanna volley 1st , play l8r :o
Onge

Post by Onge »

I suppose I was forced to learn the basics first due to my 56k connection - timing vollies was haaaard! It took me months to score a volley, but this was partly due to the fact I always tended to play as a sweeper...:D
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

and you have the judgement of a dead otter ;)
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

cuz good volleys look cool :P... but i agree, learn to boost effectively. thats the #1 thing in my book. think of everyone on your team as an extra arm. and when you boost them its like gogo gadget arm! if someone is near me i'll boost them 90% of the time even if the situation doenst seem like it needs it. the ball is 20 yards away i'll boost someone to it if they're next to me, even if no one from the other team is anywhere near the ball

the faster you do things the better i think. smoke some crack before you play! then you can pwn! :P
DiStUrbeD

Post by DiStUrbeD »

come on irc and ask some people if they can help you out. A majority of the people on irc are very experienced. The NA community is on irc.gamesurge.net and the euro community is on irc.quakenet.org

a lot of the NA people are in #dbpug on gamesurge, though a lot of times its pretty quiet around there. And a lot of the euros are in #dbpickup...play some pickup games and learn, good way to train.

Oh yeah and if you come on irc, dont be annoying...that will ruin your chances of getting people to help you
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"if someone is near me i'll boost them 90% of the time"

no good.
i use to boost including brain use, and get a lot of moaning for it (because i often dont boost people), but in the end i was right, because they were needed just where they were without boosting.
most of the time people are just boosted out of defense even tho they are needed they in a moment.

or wrong timed boosting into attack...agh
sometimes it feels like im the only one who thinks about when/if to boost :/
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

^ Spechul