Concept Sketch of new model

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Twigstir

Concept Sketch of new model

Post by Twigstir »

DavidM's comments: "You all know the current models will be dropped as soon as the new ones are done. Here the first sketch (its no model, just a sketch) of a new one.
Quite big, but who cares
Feel free to state your opinion and wishes in the comments.
I personally am no super big fan of his ball idea there, so comment on that too, whatever you think about it, not only on the player model."

Briley's comments: Hey, just want to give a hello to everyone here. I am the artist that will be helping redo the look/models/and textures for Deathball. I would like to comment my direction that I wanted for the game, something more edgy than what was previously done.
Kinda like a sci fi version of Mad max, and I know david doesnt like the ball, but I also wanted something more interesting for that.
I would like to hear what you think, and what you might like to see as gear addons for the characters..such as helmets, shields what not, and if you have links to those ideas all the better. Looking forward to your comments!

BrileyPS
Artist
Rino

Post by Rino »

LIke i said....

OWNAGE.... That's teh deathball spirit, not the old fifa soccer gay models...

N1 man Briley
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Both the character and ball are Awesome. Fits deathball great.

That ball (and character) will be a big boost in promoting deathball to new players.

The only thing, in my opinion, that doesn't look right, is the ball ring. I don't like the light green to white. Too wishy washy. I think going from a darker green to the neon green would look much better and still be highly visible. Never liked the white in the ring. Green to neon green would go better with the ball and character and look tougher. The ball itself looks great. Just like it should. Gives the impression of a dark, violent, hard core game.
Last edited by Twigstir on 30-08-2004 05:31, edited 1 time in total.
BrileyPS
Banned

Post by BrileyPS »

Hey, thanks for starting the thread Twigstir..hehe didn't get a chance to start one:) Also thanks to all for the nice comments, it means alot.
To give you some about my background, I have been a game developer for over 6 yrs, and thought I would try helping a good friend (Robert Sitton) on the mod he was working on, and lead artistically on what I think would be a cool look for a game. I have always believed that the art is the frosting on the cake..have a shitty looking cake, then no one wants to even try the cake to see how it tastes:)
About the green effect on the ball, I agree twigstir, I sorta borrowed what they had previously, in a effort to show what I had. It seems that certian colors are allready based for the teams, so I will play around with the ball color to make sure the effect looks cool.
If you guys have ideas to the objects that can go onto the characters, please let me know..and show links for ideas. I was thinking helmets, shields, or what not that wont effect gameplay but give a awww shit that is cool! factor:)

Let me know:

BrileyPS
Artist
Inphidel

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Post by Inphidel »

I love it! even the ball! i think that is exactly what DB needs.

very nice work b - this makes me wanna play dball just looking at it :)
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Maybe its just the olympics but i was thinknig, this is like a glatiator type sport, so why not some hints of it. like the head wreath. maybe other hints of culture.

some other things that might be fun is different face tattoo's or face paint.

the more options the better, everyone in the community likes to have their own look it seems :)
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

I hope you think and code the stuff as a starting point. That is, this is one character class with more to come in the future. I would style Armour and configurable stuff to be character or class specific.

Stuff like hair color/style, glasses style/color, and accessories should be character specific. The more character and classes developed the greater the range of options.

I wouldn't do much in the way of armor for this character class. Bulky armor doesn't fit deathball well. The current armor looks funny. Too bulky and not a complete outfit. I would like to see a character in a full, light, mean looking armored suit. But save that for a different class. Then you could add different accessories on to the fully armored characters.

For this character:
Shoulder spikes.
no sleeved top
no shirt - maybe tattoos optional
skull on shirt front
leather pants and a halter top - female only
Maybe some female tattoos
skull necklace - female
arm/leg bands or side stripes: studded, spiked, or skull deco.
spiked helment

Anyhow, with character options you don't need many models to make a class. The sorta futuristic madmax looking dude, fits much better in something like DB-wastelands than DB-Cube. And the sci-fi female pic below would fit well in other different environments. The more classes and looks, the more diversity in maps you'll get. It would give deathball and all around better feel. Just hoping you don't go too narrow in the character department.

Anyhow, great beginning.
Last edited by Twigstir on 30-08-2004 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
siLVer

Post by siLVer »

WAA THE ASS WAA!! dont show this a boy late at night..... omgomg...mhmh..oh ah...
well

the models look very good, first time i see a really professional scetch from db

go on
but always keep an eye on the fps
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Here is a pic of a female - leather pants, halter top, armband, choke collar, make the necklace a skull. Something like her in line with the current character would fit well I think.

Hope it gives you some ideas. Deathball could use a couple of female characters.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you freaking transvestites, stop posting female pics :)
Alars

Post by Alars »

siLVer wrote:

go on
but always keep an eye on the fps

get a better pc.
Last edited by Alars on 30-08-2004 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Requiem``

Post by Requiem`` »

mmmm this model sketch is awesome, as rino said, that's exactly the spirit i was looking for , keep up working in that way :D

About Ball ring..... maybe a red/dark red would fit well..... maybe give it a try ;)
Twigstir

Re: \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Post by Twigstir »

Inphidel wrote: this makes me wanna play dball just looking at it

I think that says it all. I got the same from the character and ball poster. I think people would give deathball a shot just from viewing that poster alone.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

DavidM wrote: you freaking transvestites, stop posting female pics :)

I don't want to turn into one. I just want to hammer one (well, maybe a few) with my gun.:D
Alars

Post by Alars »

having a red ball ring would be confusing for noobs unless the ball rings change to blue when a blue team player fires/volleys the ball. Green is fine. but honestly, when your playing DB, do you notice the white in the ball rings twig?