D...e....l.......a......y......s

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

CurvE

D...e....l.......a......y......s

Post by CurvE »

Just a little complaint to make.... I dunno if everyone has the exact same problem as me... but... here goes...

If i remember correctly... this is a 'WeaponChange' bug?
and was fixed in the UT2003 version...

What i mean is... When i collect the ball in any situation (Volley/Pass/Overload/Interception/Self-Volley/Bounce) there is about at least 2 seconds untill i can charge up or deliver someone a RMB pass... even if i hold down LMB... the power bar does not fill, no sound.... not even a weak shot untill 2 seconds have passed.... i dont know if this is a general bug... but this is what happens for me.

/end of Moaning.
Jas<ASH>Ace

Post by Jas<ASH>Ace »

Yeah that REALLY gets on my nerves too....
l0afz

Post by l0afz »

Agree! lol!
Onge

Post by Onge »

It is annoying having to press rmb twice to get a quick pass away, but if I recall correctly there was a time where there no delay at all and it was unplayable.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

Yes it was cause you would auto-release it when volleying 0.01 sec too late. Then it was changed to 0.35 secs or so, worked.
Dunno what happened now.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Yup..balancing is near impossible because of lag differences tbh :o

Wasn't it announced to be optionable or even customizable?
Shev.npu
Banned

Post by Shev.npu »

idd @ curve

rmb works though, not all times i agree, it shoots without releasing O_o but most often its quite quick
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

Sixty wrote: Yes it was cause you would auto-release it when volleying 0.01 sec too late. Then it was changed to 0.35 secs or so, worked.
Dunno what happened now.
solution, dont volley too late. also im pretty sure 1.9b didnt have much delay at all and people didnt moan about accidently firing after mistiming a volley then
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

This stuff is so hard to fix, because of lag it gets you so many weapon bugs.

But the "powerup" delay is only there when you keep the button pressed. When you press it right after getting the ball it starts powering up fine for me.

1.9b's weapon code was so good, but the change to ut2004 fucked things up.
If you are nice to Cata you can have him look at it again maybe. Afterall he made the great 1.9 weapon code. I can'T tell you much, I'm no coder, I can't look into that stuff, neither do I exactly know what happened from 1.9b to 2.0, but it's bugging me too.
When I tell a coder to "remove the delay" he will most likely start fucking with values that just create shotbugs in the end, or hammer no working etc, you know them.
makush

Post by makush »

DavidM wrote:
1.9b's weapon code was so good, but the change to ut2004 fucked things up.
If you are nice to Cata you can have him look at it again maybe. Afterall he made the great 1.9 weapon code.

Actually I deleted his code for v1.9b. Instead of that code is used as basis of v2.0 code, because it was impossible to use v1.9b code...

v1.9b code used 4 firemodes as their own classes, but in UT2004 it's virtually impossible to have a weapon with 4 firemodes unless they are capsulated in to 2 firemode classes (altfire + primary fire) as cata did.
Last edited by makush on 31-08-2004 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Was it THAT different?
makush

Post by makush »

It's very different actually. In 1.9b your firemode instances are destroyed when you get ball or drop ball, thus the hammer gets reset well....
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

and why would it not work in 2.x ?
just tell the whole story, what i just mailed you.
might help us get a better weapon again
makush

Post by makush »

DavidM: "Why the 1.9b code can't be converted..."

In UT2004 you CAN NOT destroy firemodes unless weapon owner gets killed. Destroying firemodes causes dangling pointers, which causes general protection faults. Pointer is a address to memory space, which, in this case, contains firemode code. In UT2004 you can't clear the pointer to your firemode, so if you destroy firemode, the pointer starts pointing to invalid memory space..

Destroying firemode was important, because that way your hammer charging/firing did not get to other mode, like now you might start charging even though you actually fired the weapon BEFORE you had the ball. There's a lot of native code involved with weapon and firemodes, so I don't know or can't change everything what happens for sure.

DavidM: "What you used for 2.0 instead..."

Like I said, cata's code. There you got alt and primary firemode classes and no more. These classes contain hammer and launcher mode code. So you don't destroy your firemode, but you just change firemode state when you get the ball or drop the ball.

DavidM: "What could be done? current weapon situation aint good, but 1.9b was just perfect"

Somebody needs to rewrite the weapon. With the latest patch the person might be succesful. Please remember that the v2.x code was made before the latest UT2004 patch, which I guess fixes some of the weapon problems, thus you don't need all kind of checks. I suggest writing and testing all weapon code from scratch.

Nuff said?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I think so, thanks