Temporary offsides idea

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

NitrousOxide

Temporary offsides idea

Post by NitrousOxide »

Defensive players have had the 'Deathball is going to incoporate offsides' carrot dangled in front of them since around the time of version 1.2 of this mod. However, due to coding difficulties and the coder going AWOL (UsAaR33), no positive news has been given for months:confused:

Here are a few 'brainstorm' ideas to use as a temporary measure until such coding is viable...

1) Any player who is running around the opponent's half, without the ball, can be damaged by defenders eg. 20 points per hit.

2) Players gradually lose health while in the opponent's half, limiting health repair to your own half of the pitch eg. 10 points deduction every 5 seconds.

3) Players gradually lose shot and volley power while in the opponent's half eg. 20% of maximum value every 10 seconds.

The aim behind these proposals (not necessarily with my example values) is to make 'cherry pickers' more vunerable to being fragged, while making them less of an immediate scoring threat, so that they will have to pass to another team-mate who has joined them in attack.

It is quite feasable to use one of those ideas or even combine all 3 options.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

Great, bury kryptonite in the enemy half.
fro

Post by fro »

hmm...

more feasible to give me an instagib rifle and let me shoot them.

my stance on offsides has changed a lot recently, originally i was all for them as it would make my role a lot easier, but i cant see it being viable at all, and would ruin the flow of the game, so, now, i dont like the idea of it anymore...

sure, pickers are a problem, and i dont have anything against a well timed run off the defence, but its the people who spend their whole match on the edge of the penalty box who piss me off.
Last edited by fro on 13-03-2003 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
NightSpirit|ZBN

Post by NightSpirit|ZBN »

Speaking as a defender, I currently don't believe that DeathBall needs offsides. If the opposition has players cherry picking or whatever then that means they have one less defending against our attack, suits me fine, i'll just knock them about a bit and let our attackers score :devil:

However, if there were going to be rules implemented such as the suggestions above then they could work IMO if the values were toned down a bit. If I was able to do, say 5-10 points of damage to a cherry picker (as apposed to 20) then this might work well. I wouldn't be able to frag them in 5/6 hits but it would mean that they would have to focus more on knocking me away or running around and not being able to pay so much attention to any ball being passed to them.
SE7ENN

Post by SE7ENN »

yes with 10 hp to an enemy in own half should be cool!
and maybe regenerating is faster on own half and slower (or not regenerating at all) in opponents' half, but all these settings have to be played to be sure they will be cool
NightSpirit|ZBN

Post by NightSpirit|ZBN »

Yeah, settings would definitely have to tested fully to make sure there was the right balance. I don't think that random people joining the beta-test server and then posting their opinion after one game is very helpfull at all. Much better would be for several good clans to play friendly matches with the beta offside code implemented and only comment after two or three matches. Then they can post their clan's thoughts together with advantages and disadvantages they have found so as to be more helpfull. This will hopefully produce a full version that will be more acceptable to the majority - tho there is no way of pleasing everyone.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

the problem with these ideas is that while they may fix cherry picking they also have the effect of screwing over the O when they have a legatmate reason to be on the other teams half,

what about a long offensive play and all the O players die cuz their life runs out. or any of these suggestion, they would to fix the problem but they cause HUGE other problems so they just woudln't work.

btw davidm has nixed the idea of offisides, sprinting is it replacement, which imo is good, for one with lag offsides would blow. if you were at a lan party maybe but how many clan matchs are played lan?
DiStUrbeD

Post by DiStUrbeD »

I like the idea of the damage in enemy zone, as long as the ball isnt there..

I think if the ball is in the enemy zone, and the people are there, the defenders would not be able to attack the enemies (causing damage)

When you get a small map like SmallCube, people would be dying all over the place and no goals would be scored.
SpikeBall

Post by SpikeBall »

My idea for Offside rule:

If you are offside, you lose health (-1 per second).

Very simple, 100 seconds offside = death
But u can score while offside, if u r fast enough.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Why not if ball is passed from zone a to zone b players in zone b the ball gibs the player if they try to hit it or catch it? the game play isnt disturbed at all becide the player is now back on the other side of the field while there team is complaining he didn't wait on our side of the line for the pass. but some maps would suck for this.. like lego fan. I got a map idea i'll post in another thread...
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

i stopped reading the thread halfway through, but i just got one thing to say. we dont want to scare ppl out of the attacking half. the game would slow down without much being added. im willing to sit tight til real offsides come.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

no offsides is coming sorry to bust you guys bubbles but davidm seems to have decided against offsides for some very good reasons
SE7ENN

Post by SE7ENN »

:( beh then i think that the defender-can-damage-offender-in-own half is a good idea to substitute offsides...just decide if they can be damaged only if the ball is in own half or not...how much defender can damage and with good values imo this rule can be ok
THe offenders wont be scared if u set for example 10 hp for hits or 20 but only when the ball is on own half

sry for english :lol:
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

theberkin8or wrote: no offsides is coming sorry to bust you guys bubbles but davidm seems to have decided against offsides for some very good reasons

since when? i have been looking forward to offsides since 1.1 :(